Prosecutors want Barry Bonds to do 15 months in prison

Dec 9, 2011, 4:20 PM EST

Barry Bonds AP

On Tuesday, the federal probation officer assigned to Barry Bonds’ case recommended that the Home Run King — people love it when I call him that — get probation when he is sentenced next week.  Today the prosecutors came back with their request: 15 months.

That seems pretty darn harsh given that he was convicted on a single count of obstruction.  But hey, I guess you never get what you want if you don’t ask for it.

Note: the prosecutors in this case never get anything they ask for.  Enjoy your probation, Mr. Bonds.

1. dadawg77 - Dec 9, 2011 at 4:24 PM

Judge should throw out the conviction on the BS verdict.

2. cintiphil - Dec 9, 2011 at 4:26 PM

I hope it is on the West coast. Then Albert can visit and get some tips on hitting the long ones.

3. cintiphil - Dec 9, 2011 at 4:26 PM

Oh I forgot. Who Cares?

• cur68 - Dec 9, 2011 at 5:41 PM

Well, arguably, you do, since you commented twice, but I agree with your initial statement (there’s a first).

• cintiphil - Dec 10, 2011 at 10:40 AM

I don’t care, I like to comment on this stuff.

4. damnyankee13 - Dec 9, 2011 at 4:35 PM

I dont think Baroid should go to jail. Nope. What I do think is that all his records should be deleted from the books and he should pay all court costs.

• Graves - Dec 9, 2011 at 4:43 PM

I’m fairly sure he’s not the one dragging out the court proceedings. It’s the prosecution that has failed in pretty much every aspect from square one.

Call me crazy, but I think Bonds would like to have been done with this whole thing before it ever started.

• philsieg - Dec 9, 2011 at 4:49 PM

“Baroid” Heh. Cute. I saw what you did there.

Attempting to rewrite history sets a dangerous precedent and rarely turns out well. Look how that’s working our for the idiots running for the GOP presidential nomination.

• thefalcon123 - Dec 9, 2011 at 4:53 PM

You want his records deleted from the books? Fine. But don’t go halfway. Those numbers he put up helped a team win ball games. So, if you’re gonna remove them from Bonds, remove them from the Giants.

Let’s see, Bonds was worth about 12 wins in 2002, so subtract those and give the Wildcard to the Dodgers. But wait! The WS champion Angels had Troy Glaus on their team! He did ‘roids and was worth 5 wins that year, knocking the Angels out of the wildcard. Then Boston and Miami are tied…but Boston had Manny, worth 6 wins, so they’re out….but Seattle had got 4 wins out of Bret Boone…so they win the wild card by two games….etc

• thefalcon123 - Dec 9, 2011 at 5:00 PM

“Boston and Miami”…a’hem. Boston and SEATTLE. Though you have to admit, confusing Seattle with the most geographically distant baseball city possible is a pretty impressive screw up.

• Kevin S. - Dec 9, 2011 at 6:13 PM

Actually, I eff up Mariners/Marlins all the time.

• damnyankee13 - Dec 9, 2011 at 6:51 PM

seems like I opened a can of worms. wasnt thinking that far ahead, but then again, I have no proof, but do believe the SF giants knew about it so they should be penalized. But then again as you said, it snowballs

5. JBerardi - Dec 9, 2011 at 4:51 PM

Don’t we have some like, bankers or BP executives we should maybe be persecuting right now? No? Ok then… good to know we got all that stuff cleared up.

• paperlions - Dec 9, 2011 at 5:07 PM

Killing entire industries and polluting the majority of the Gulf of Mexico is child’s play compared to lying about taking steroids while playing a game.

• jwbiii - Dec 9, 2011 at 6:12 PM

paperlions, Bonds was not convicted of lying. That would have been one of the various perjury charges with which he was charged and not convicted. He was convicted of babbling for about a minute about his friendship with Greg Anderson before answering a question.

• Kevin S. - Dec 9, 2011 at 6:14 PM

HBT, why do you only let me thumb up jwbiii’s post once?

• paperlions - Dec 9, 2011 at 8:39 PM

I know….he but he did lie and the only reason there was a trial was because he lied and they only way anyone could find him guilty of obstruction was if they thought he lied.

• bcopus - Dec 9, 2011 at 5:19 PM

There’s a fairly good difference between persecution and prosecution. I believe, if I’m thinking about this correctly, you can go all out on persecuting anyone you’d like. But know this…you may face prosecution later.

• JBerardi - Dec 9, 2011 at 7:42 PM

Ah well. Another day, another typo. Still zero ways to correct said typos…

• micker716 - Dec 10, 2011 at 1:50 PM

Why is it “either, or”? We can prosecute lying, crooked executives and lying, crooked ball players. A criminal is a criminal.

• bigdicktater - Dec 10, 2011 at 2:56 PM

I say waterboard ‘em all!!

6. mojosmagic - Dec 9, 2011 at 6:15 PM

Bonds has been a lying creep cheater for years. Bonds isn’t a very nice human being. He has ruined and skewered long held and fairly achieved MLB records but that isn’t what he will go to jail for. He lied to a Federal grand jury and deserves to be put in jail and I won’t be shedding any tears for him.

• mashoaf - Dec 9, 2011 at 11:20 PM

Bonds is paying for all of Bryan Stows kids to go to college. Yep your right he is not a nice human being.

7. metalhead65 - Dec 10, 2011 at 1:13 AM

poor barry how dare anyone say anything negative about him. he never tested positive and you do not have proof he took strtoids. after all anybody can go from hitting 48 homers as a carreer high to bashing 73 or whatever magic number the clear got him, and all it took took was a little hard work for his body to hulk out and his head to grow 9 inches in less than a year. sorry but my eyes are all the proof I need. and how dare they convict him of anything so trivial as lying under oath about it. just another case of the man keeping him down. you people defending him make sick! I know it is because you are giants fans but come on! Hank Arron and Roger Maris are still the leaders in reasonable peoples minds despite what the books say.

• ftbramwell - Dec 10, 2011 at 9:28 AM

I’m a reasonable person. Neither Roger Marris nor Hank Aaron are the leaders in their respective categories: Barry Bonds is.

You can debate the so-called legitimacy of these records all you want. (People debated whether Roger Marris was the true home run king for decades after he hit 61.) I debate how good Babe Ruth was given that he played in an era where the best athletes didn’t go into baseball because it didn’t pay enough (to say nothing about the lack of black or Latin athletes). Babe Ruth didn’t face three or four pitchers a game. But I don’t debate that Babe Ruth was good.

By the way, this works in both directions. The year Bonds broke the single season home run record, pitchers effectively stopped pitching to him in late July/early August. Bonds probably could have hit 90 had pitchers given him as many pitches in the strike zone as they gave Mark McGuire. But they did not, and Bonds had to stop at 73.

(And for the record, I’m not a Giants fan, but I can admire what Barry Bonds did even though he was probably on steroids. Those steroids still didn’t help him hit a round ball with a round bat.)

8. metalhead65 - Dec 10, 2011 at 1:14 PM

I never said steroids enabled him to hit home runs but what they enabled him to do was hit more of them. unless you think all the mucles he put on were for show then they gave him more strength which in turn gave him more power to hit balls that would have been outs into home runs because the added power made them go farther. he was a great ballplayer before he jucied up but now all I will remember him for are the roids. as for mcguire thanks to conseco we now know why he was hitting all those homers form the gegining of his career,the fact he had been hitting 50 since his rookie year is the reason I defended him at the time. it did not seem like a stretch for a guy who had always shown power to do what he did. but when you show up like bonds did over night and start jacking them out like never before then yes reasonable minds would suggest that there was a little more behind that than just a good workout.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester