Dec 9, 2011, 12:30 PM EDT
As I noted yesterday, the Angels’ offers to Albert Pujols and C.J. Wilson make sense given that they are/were in the process of negotiating a new television deal. Well, Bill Shaikin has the details on it, and everything makes a ton of sense now. The Angels are making a mint.
The deal is for $3 billion over 20 years. That means $150 million a year. The current deal they have is for $50 million a year. You don’t need a calculator to see that those new contracts are more than paid for.
Heck, there’s enough money now to go sign Prince Fielder too. Make him the bullpen catcher or something.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 17
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 60
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 12
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Brandon Phillips: “How the [expletive] am I declining?” (61)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)