Dec 9, 2011, 12:30 PM EDT
As I noted yesterday, the Angels’ offers to Albert Pujols and C.J. Wilson make sense given that they are/were in the process of negotiating a new television deal. Well, Bill Shaikin has the details on it, and everything makes a ton of sense now. The Angels are making a mint.
The deal is for $3 billion over 20 years. That means $150 million a year. The current deal they have is for $50 million a year. You don’t need a calculator to see that those new contracts are more than paid for.
Heck, there’s enough money now to go sign Prince Fielder too. Make him the bullpen catcher or something.
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 20
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 31
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 31
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 6
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (124)