Dec 9, 2011, 12:30 PM EDT
As I noted yesterday, the Angels’ offers to Albert Pujols and C.J. Wilson make sense given that they are/were in the process of negotiating a new television deal. Well, Bill Shaikin has the details on it, and everything makes a ton of sense now. The Angels are making a mint.
The deal is for $3 billion over 20 years. That means $150 million a year. The current deal they have is for $50 million a year. You don’t need a calculator to see that those new contracts are more than paid for.
Heck, there’s enough money now to go sign Prince Fielder too. Make him the bullpen catcher or something.
- Alex Rodriguez celebrates 40th birthday with a home run 2
- Mets acquire Tyler Clippard from the Athletics 17
- Angels acquire Shane Victorino from Red Sox 23
- Happy 40th Birthday, A-Rod! 44
- Craig Biggio, John Smoltz, Randy Johnson and Pedro Martinez inducted into the Hall of Fame 41
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- Mike Trout hits two homers, including a grand slam, to take MLB lead 13
- Zack Greinke’s scoreless innings streak ends at 45 2/3 7
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (156)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- MLBPAA announces “Heart and Hustle” award, given mostly to Americans and white guys (131)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)