Dec 9, 2011, 9:32 PM EDT
The Diamondbacks were discussing a two-year deal with the arbitration-eligible Joe Saunders over the past couple of weeks, but tonight’s acquisition of Trevor Cahill has changed things a bit. In fact, Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic hears that Arizona may now trade the veteran left-hander.
Saunders, 30, earned $5.5 million this season while going 12-13 with a 3.69 ERA and 108/67 K/BB ratio over a career-high 212 innings. He stands to make around $8-9 million in his final year of arbitration, which is why the D-Backs were trying to lock him into a multi-year deal for a lower annual salary.
Monday is the deadline for teams to decide whether to tender contracts to arbitration-eligible players on their 40-man rosters, so the Diamondbacks are up against the clock to find a match. Piecoro hears that a few teams are interested, including the Red Sox, though his hittable style would seem to be a poor fit in the American League East. While Saunders pitched well (at least superficially) with Arizona this season, he had a career-low strikeout rate while benefitting from a low batting average on balls in play. He probably won’t be so lucky next season, no matter where he pitches.
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 12
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 45
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 45
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 90
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)