Dec 9, 2011, 9:32 PM EST
The Diamondbacks were discussing a two-year deal with the arbitration-eligible Joe Saunders over the past couple of weeks, but tonight’s acquisition of Trevor Cahill has changed things a bit. In fact, Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic hears that Arizona may now trade the veteran left-hander.
Saunders, 30, earned $5.5 million this season while going 12-13 with a 3.69 ERA and 108/67 K/BB ratio over a career-high 212 innings. He stands to make around $8-9 million in his final year of arbitration, which is why the D-Backs were trying to lock him into a multi-year deal for a lower annual salary.
Monday is the deadline for teams to decide whether to tender contracts to arbitration-eligible players on their 40-man rosters, so the Diamondbacks are up against the clock to find a match. Piecoro hears that a few teams are interested, including the Red Sox, though his hittable style would seem to be a poor fit in the American League East. While Saunders pitched well (at least superficially) with Arizona this season, he had a career-low strikeout rate while benefitting from a low batting average on balls in play. He probably won’t be so lucky next season, no matter where he pitches.
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 31
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 34
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 116
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 46
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 17
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (117)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)