Dec 9, 2011, 11:20 AM EST
Not counting the playoffs, Matt Moore has a grand total of three games and nine and one-third innings of major league experience. But as first reported by ESPN’s Jerry Crasnick, he is now locked up on a five-year, $14 million deal. That part of it takes him through arbitration. Marc Topkin adds that the Rays hold options for 2017-19, which could make this into an eight-year, $39.75 million deal over the 8 years
Say what you want about the uncertainty of pitching prospects, but this is an absolutely incredible bargain for the Rays. It makes the Evan Longoria deal — the current benchmark for a team-friendly deal — look like an overpay. No, you can’t project a guy as young as Matt Moore to be the next Tim Lincecum, but look at the kind of money Lincecum made through his first five seasons — something like $27 million — and you can see what Moore is foregoing here.
And if Moore does fulfill his potential — even as a merely above average starter — the potential for the Rays to have him through age 30 at less than $40 million is a freakin’ steal.
Not that anyone can really blame him too harshly. Like I said: he has less than ten innings under his belt. He could blow out his arm tomorrow. Now, at age 22, his life is set up better than most people’s ever will be, even if it’s less-set-up than most ballplayers of his talent level typically are through the first five-eight years of their career.
In any case: solid move for the Rays. Just a fantastic business and baseball decision for them.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 26
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 29
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 71
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (125)