The Reds have made an extension offer to Brandon Phillips

Dec 9, 2011, 11:00 AM EDT

Cincinnati Reds v Washington Nationals Getty Images

A week or two ago Brandon Phillips tweeted optimistically about working out a contract extension with the Cincinnati Reds. Nothing happened right after that — if I was the Reds I’d be a bit miffed that Phillips was tweeting about that — but it’s being reported by the Cincinnati Enquirer today that the Reds have made an offer.

Nothing seems imminent, but it certainly does seem that the Reds are going to lock up their second baseman at some point in the not-too-distant future.

1. cintiphil - Dec 9, 2011 at 12:57 PM

This is why Brandon is not one of my favorite players on the Reds. He is a nut who thinks he is more important than the team or any other singular person on the team. If he really is honest, he probably thinks he is the star that drives the Reds no one else. he will try to negotiate on the net, for his benefit. I wouldn’t trust him further than I could spit if I were Walt.

• metalhead65 - Dec 9, 2011 at 2:17 PM

well if you look at how he performed after HE went to dusty and told him to bat him leadoff I think think you could say that he does drive the reds. god knows he is better than anybody else they have put in the leadoff spot. and since he is a gold glover at second so he may not be the most valuable red but he is right behind Votto.

• crpls - Dec 9, 2011 at 2:49 PM

Sports fans. The worst.

2. metalhead65 - Dec 9, 2011 at 2:11 PM

I don’t believe it. it is just a smokescrern walt is throwing out there till his big signing of the offseason can be announced. that would be the signing of Dimitri Young! he played for the reds once but more importantly he is a former cardnial! forget that he has not played in 3 years he along with the possible signing of cody ross are the moves that will put the reds on top next season! and if he can talk Ozzie Smith out of retirement then the reds are unbeatable! who needs the young talent the reds have when you can sign guys like these? why put the reds top prospects on the field and see if they can play and help the reds for years down the road when you can sign “veterans” like these?

3. cintiphil - Dec 9, 2011 at 2:37 PM

That is the only problem I see with Walt. He thinks he can win by picking a lot of low hanging fruit. I don’t like to pin my hopes on all of the old timers he has hired. I have said before, we will be lucky to see Rolen play this season, and then for how long before he re-inures his shoulder? Teh Reds have a lot of young guys who they have to bring along, but tey have to spend money on some established players. I know they paid a lot for Votto, but not as much as they will pay next time. I suppose Brandon will ask for whatever Votto gets, and will mouth off on the net to try and intimidate the Reds into doing what he wants. That is his right, but how does that make his fellow teammates feel? You can make any excuses you wish, but he is a jerk!

Colby-on-Colby crime in Toronto