Dec 9, 2011, 2:47 PM EDT
This will be his 13th team in 14 seasons, but Dotel remains a very effective reliever at age 38 and is particularly dominant against right-handed hitters, throwing 54 innings with a 3.50 ERA and 62/17 K/BB ratio while earning $3.5 million in 2011.
Dotel has the highest strikeout rate of all time among right-handers with 800-plus innings and even at age 37 got more than 10 strikeouts per nine innings for the fifth straight season. He joins Joaquin Benoit and Al Alburquerque as right-handed setup men for closer Jose Valverde, and the Tigers also have Phil Coke and Daniel Schlereth from the left side.
Jason Beck of MLB.com reports that Dotel chose the Tigers over the Brewers, with the Padres also in the mix.
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 23
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 22
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 17
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)