Dec 9, 2011, 2:47 PM EST
This will be his 13th team in 14 seasons, but Dotel remains a very effective reliever at age 38 and is particularly dominant against right-handed hitters, throwing 54 innings with a 3.50 ERA and 62/17 K/BB ratio while earning $3.5 million in 2011.
Dotel has the highest strikeout rate of all time among right-handers with 800-plus innings and even at age 37 got more than 10 strikeouts per nine innings for the fifth straight season. He joins Joaquin Benoit and Al Alburquerque as right-handed setup men for closer Jose Valverde, and the Tigers also have Phil Coke and Daniel Schlereth from the left side.
Jason Beck of MLB.com reports that Dotel chose the Tigers over the Brewers, with the Padres also in the mix.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 66
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 33
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)