Dec 10, 2011, 7:03 PM EDT
But Angels general manager Jerry Dipoto and manager Mike Scioscia put that idea to rest on Saturday afternoon during a press conference introducing both Pujols and lefty C.J. Wilson.
This according to MLB.com’s Alden Gonzalez.
Morales sat out the entire 2011 season due to lingering issues with his surgically-repaired left ankle and is not a lock to ever return to his elite slugger status, but he should only cost around $4 million as a second-year arbitration-eligible player in 2012. So it’s not like the Halos are taking a major financial risk. If the 28-year-old Cuban is able to finally heal and revitalize his career, he could make for superb mid-summer trade bait. Or, he could see regular action at DH.
Morales batted .306/.355/.569 with 34 home runs and 108 RBI in 152 games for the Angels in 2009.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 10
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 63
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 111
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 57
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (111)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)