Dec 10, 2011, 7:03 PM EDT
But Angels general manager Jerry Dipoto and manager Mike Scioscia put that idea to rest on Saturday afternoon during a press conference introducing both Pujols and lefty C.J. Wilson.
This according to MLB.com’s Alden Gonzalez.
Morales sat out the entire 2011 season due to lingering issues with his surgically-repaired left ankle and is not a lock to ever return to his elite slugger status, but he should only cost around $4 million as a second-year arbitration-eligible player in 2012. So it’s not like the Halos are taking a major financial risk. If the 28-year-old Cuban is able to finally heal and revitalize his career, he could make for superb mid-summer trade bait. Or, he could see regular action at DH.
Morales batted .306/.355/.569 with 34 home runs and 108 RBI in 152 games for the Angels in 2009.
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 9
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 1
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 3
- Adam Wainwright underwent elbow surgery to “trim” cartilage 11
- World Series, Game 3: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Andrew Friedman got $35 million to leave the Rays for the Dodgers … and he might be underpaid 13
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays 141
- World Series Reset: On to AT&T Park 14
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (141)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (101)