Dec 10, 2011, 7:03 PM EDT
But Angels general manager Jerry Dipoto and manager Mike Scioscia put that idea to rest on Saturday afternoon during a press conference introducing both Pujols and lefty C.J. Wilson.
This according to MLB.com’s Alden Gonzalez.
Morales sat out the entire 2011 season due to lingering issues with his surgically-repaired left ankle and is not a lock to ever return to his elite slugger status, but he should only cost around $4 million as a second-year arbitration-eligible player in 2012. So it’s not like the Halos are taking a major financial risk. If the 28-year-old Cuban is able to finally heal and revitalize his career, he could make for superb mid-summer trade bait. Or, he could see regular action at DH.
Morales batted .306/.355/.569 with 34 home runs and 108 RBI in 152 games for the Angels in 2009.
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 2
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 8
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 10
- Giants inhaling the air of superiority after Game 1 7
- What’s in a name? “Big Game” James did not come up big for Kansas City 22
- World Series Reset: The Royals look to pick themselves up off the mat 8
- Royals’ World Series hopes in Yordano Ventura’s hands 7
- Giants stomp Royals 7-1 in World Series Game 1 rout 34
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (121)
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (92)