Dec 10, 2011, 7:03 PM EDT
But Angels general manager Jerry Dipoto and manager Mike Scioscia put that idea to rest on Saturday afternoon during a press conference introducing both Pujols and lefty C.J. Wilson.
This according to MLB.com’s Alden Gonzalez.
Morales sat out the entire 2011 season due to lingering issues with his surgically-repaired left ankle and is not a lock to ever return to his elite slugger status, but he should only cost around $4 million as a second-year arbitration-eligible player in 2012. So it’s not like the Halos are taking a major financial risk. If the 28-year-old Cuban is able to finally heal and revitalize his career, he could make for superb mid-summer trade bait. Or, he could see regular action at DH.
Morales batted .306/.355/.569 with 34 home runs and 108 RBI in 152 games for the Angels in 2009.
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 280
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 24
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 32
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 4
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 149
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 44
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 99
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (282)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (158)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)