Dec 10, 2011, 9:31 PM EDT
This one’s … odd.
But thankfully fairly innocent.
From Marc Topkin of the St. Petersburg Times comes word that Rays pitcher David Price was nearly assaulted outside of a Tampa restaurant Friday after confronting a man who was relieving himself on the 26-year-old left-hander’s car.
No one was injured — not Price, nor the man.
Here’s the full run-down of details from Topkin:
After filling glasses as a guest bartender for manager Joe Maddon’s charity event at Tampa’s 717 South restaurant Friday, Rays pitcher David Price walked out to find a man relieving himself on the door of his car.
The man apparently didn’t take kindly to being interrupted — he pushed Price and took a swing at him, but Price said he wisely avoided confrontation, joking he was too quick.
“I was,” Price said, “relieved with how it turned out.”
Price stands 6-foot-6 and weighs over 225 pounds, so he’d match up well in a brawl with a majority of the people on this planet. But the man apparently scurried off after failing to land a single punch.
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 23
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 205
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 29
- Video: Jorge Soler homers in his first major league at-bat 30
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 40
- HBT Daily: Alex Gordon and the Royals keep on rolling 12
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 43
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (205)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (145)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (102)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)