Dec 10, 2011, 10:40 AM EDT
James Loney spoke with Tony Jackson of ESPN Los Angeles yesterday, issuing his first public comments since news broke that he was arrested last month on suspicion of driving under the influence after crashing into three cars.
Among other things, Loney claims that he was not under the influence of drugs or alcohol and has no memory of what happened after colliding with the first car and hitting his head. One other interesting note is that he didn’t inform the Dodgers of his arrest and that the team learned through a third party.
“Definitely, I should have made them aware,” Loney said. “I should have told them what happened. I should have done that. They have my back, and they know what type of person I am and what type of character I have, and they are here to help me. I am sorry if I offended anyone and grateful there were no serious injuries. I had no intention to hurt or offend anyone. There were no charges filed against me. I appreciate the police watching out for my welfare that night.”
The incident comes at an interesting time for Loney, who is arbitration-eligible for the final time this winter. The non-tender deadline is Monday, though Dodgers general manager Ned Colletti told the Los Angeles Times on Thursday that he is still comfortable offering him a contract unless other damning information emerges.
- Felix Hernandez pounded as Mariners lose fourth straight 6
- Blue Jays manager John Gibbons will return in 2015 4
- HBT Daily: Why did Frank Wren get the axe? 2
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 57
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 26
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (111)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (89)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (87)