Dec 10, 2011, 10:40 AM EDT
James Loney spoke with Tony Jackson of ESPN Los Angeles yesterday, issuing his first public comments since news broke that he was arrested last month on suspicion of driving under the influence after crashing into three cars.
Among other things, Loney claims that he was not under the influence of drugs or alcohol and has no memory of what happened after colliding with the first car and hitting his head. One other interesting note is that he didn’t inform the Dodgers of his arrest and that the team learned through a third party.
“Definitely, I should have made them aware,” Loney said. “I should have told them what happened. I should have done that. They have my back, and they know what type of person I am and what type of character I have, and they are here to help me. I am sorry if I offended anyone and grateful there were no serious injuries. I had no intention to hurt or offend anyone. There were no charges filed against me. I appreciate the police watching out for my welfare that night.”
The incident comes at an interesting time for Loney, who is arbitration-eligible for the final time this winter. The non-tender deadline is Monday, though Dodgers general manager Ned Colletti told the Los Angeles Times on Thursday that he is still comfortable offering him a contract unless other damning information emerges.
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 50
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 17
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)