James Loney didn’t tell the Dodgers about his arrest last month

Dec 10, 2011, 10:40 AM EDT

James Loney Getty Images

James Loney spoke with Tony Jackson of ESPN Los Angeles yesterday, issuing his first public comments since news broke that he was arrested last month on suspicion of driving under the influence after crashing into three cars.

Among other things, Loney claims that he was not under the influence of drugs or alcohol and has no memory of what happened after colliding with the first car and hitting his head. One other interesting note is that he didn’t inform the Dodgers of his arrest and that the team learned through a third party.

“Definitely, I should have made them aware,” Loney said. “I should have told them what happened. I should have done that. They have my back, and they know what type of person I am and what type of character I have, and they are here to help me. I am sorry if I offended anyone and grateful there were no serious injuries. I had no intention to hurt or offend anyone. There were no charges filed against me. I appreciate the police watching out for my welfare that night.”

The incident comes at an interesting time for Loney, who is arbitration-eligible for the final time this winter. The non-tender deadline is Monday, though Dodgers general manager Ned Colletti told the Los Angeles Times on Thursday that he is still comfortable offering him a contract unless other damning information emerges.

1. purnellmeagrejr - Dec 10, 2011 at 10:54 AM

Big deal – he was trying to drive home from memory with his eyes closed and made a few mistakes. Who hasn’t done the same thing?

2. shawnuel - Dec 10, 2011 at 11:16 AM

A frustratingly under-performing player AND a douche-nozzle…..what a combo!

3. plmathfoto - Dec 10, 2011 at 12:36 PM

Lemme get this straight, he runs into 3 cars and no charges are filed? Forget the drugs and alcohol, he hit 3 cars! (fill in requisite joke about how many times he got 3 hits before)

• clydeserra - Dec 10, 2011 at 12:56 PM

what charges would you suggest?

• djpostl - Dec 10, 2011 at 2:12 PM

reckless driving for one …

• plmathfoto - Dec 10, 2011 at 2:57 PM

You gonna tell me if you or I ran into 3 cars we’d just get off scott free?

• clydeserra - Dec 10, 2011 at 3:06 PM

many people hit 3 cars and don’t get charge or cited.

4. cup0pizza - Dec 10, 2011 at 1:29 PM

Non-tender this loser. It’s a complete no-brainier. 0% of Dodger fans like this weak-hitting dbag.

5. cup0pizza - Dec 10, 2011 at 2:57 PM

Trying to flee the scene, vehicular assault for two and three.

• clydeserra - Dec 10, 2011 at 3:11 PM

its not assault, otherwise all car crashes would be.

As for hit and run, maybe, but I doubt it would go anywhere on the facts in the LA times article.

6. cup0pizza - Dec 10, 2011 at 3:05 PM

On the bright side, there’s no chance that the blood tests will indicate the presence of PEDs in his system.

7. cup0pizza - Dec 10, 2011 at 3:33 PM

clyde, you’re either Loney himself commenting here incognito, his attorney or his agent. Any non-athlete who did this would be in a world of hurt, period.

• clydeserra - Dec 10, 2011 at 4:05 PM

at worst they are misdemeanors. SOmeone that plead guily to them would get some kind of community service, fines and points on their driving record.

But I don’t think you are correct that this action requires the criminal courts to get involved. Maybe they will, Prosecutors have a year from the incident to press charges. Maybe they won’t. I would think that being a celebrate actually hurts loney here, making it more likely that he would be charged.

Really, this is not a big deal

8. baseballisboring - Dec 10, 2011 at 4:14 PM

The whole driving drunk, smashing 3 cars, leaving the scene and then crashing again thing is bad. But he did say in his statement that he didn’t mean to offend anyone. You know what…apology accepted.

• clydeserra - Dec 10, 2011 at 9:28 PM

he was not drunk. He was taken to the hospital, they surely tested him there. If he were drunk he would have been charged immediately.

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. R. Castillo (3632)