Dec 10, 2011, 10:49 PM EDT
The Rays were also in the running at one point but may have backed away from the negotiating table during the Winter Meetings as Willingham’s asking price soared with an influx of interested teams.
Willingham, 32, batted .246/.332/.477 with 29 home runs and 98 RBI in 136 games this past year for the A’s. In a free agent market weak on productive outfielders, he may be able to land a three-year deal.
- Bud Selig’s view on replay has “evolved” 8
- Umpires use replay on controversial Matt Joyce home run 6
- Rangers put Ian Kinsler on the 15-day disabled list and call up top prospect Jurickson Profar 5
- Carlos Ruiz leaves game with strained right hamstring 1
- Andrew McCutchen scratched from Pirates’ starting lineup 5
- Live Extra: Watch live coverage of Penguins-Senators
- PBT: Parker carves up Grizzlies as Spurs roll in Gm. 1
- PHT: Bruins crack Lundqvist, hammer Rangers
- MST: No bumping on Bump Day at Indy 500
- PST: Arsenal grabs Champions League spot
- Ferguson's managerial career ends with 5-5 draw
- Moore stays unbeaten as Rays top Orioles