Dec 10, 2011, 10:49 PM EST
The Rays were also in the running at one point but may have backed away from the negotiating table during the Winter Meetings as Willingham’s asking price soared with an influx of interested teams.
Willingham, 32, batted .246/.332/.477 with 29 home runs and 98 RBI in 136 games this past year for the A’s. In a free agent market weak on productive outfielders, he may be able to land a three-year deal.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (101)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)