Dec 10, 2011, 11:39 AM EST
Ian Kinsler could become a free agent following the 2013 season, but he wants to stay with the Rangers for the long haul. According to Jeff Wilson of the Fort-Worth Star Telegram, Kinsler said that his agent, Jay Franklin, has had preliminary talks with the club about an extension.
“I want to stay here,” Kinsler said. “I was drafted by the Rangers, and I want to be a Ranger. You never know how long it’s going to take. I think the sooner the better for them, and the sooner the better for me.”
Kinsler signed a five-year, $22 million extension with the Rangers way back in 2008. The 29-year-old second baseman is due to make $7 million next season while his contract includes a $10 million club option for 2013 or a $500,000 buyout.
The Rangers are committed to keeping their core pieces in place, but Kinsler’s status may take a back seat to more pressing matters in the days ahead. Josh Hamilton and Mike Napoli can both become free agents next offseason, so contract talks are expected to be a priority this offseason. They may also attempt to counter the additions of Albert Pujols and C.J. Wilson by the division-rival Angels, though general manager Jon Daniels insisted Friday that he isn’t comfortable making a reactive move.
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 31
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 34
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 116
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 46
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 17
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (117)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)