Dec 10, 2011, 11:39 AM EDT
Ian Kinsler could become a free agent following the 2013 season, but he wants to stay with the Rangers for the long haul. According to Jeff Wilson of the Fort-Worth Star Telegram, Kinsler said that his agent, Jay Franklin, has had preliminary talks with the club about an extension.
“I want to stay here,” Kinsler said. “I was drafted by the Rangers, and I want to be a Ranger. You never know how long it’s going to take. I think the sooner the better for them, and the sooner the better for me.”
Kinsler signed a five-year, $22 million extension with the Rangers way back in 2008. The 29-year-old second baseman is due to make $7 million next season while his contract includes a $10 million club option for 2013 or a $500,000 buyout.
The Rangers are committed to keeping their core pieces in place, but Kinsler’s status may take a back seat to more pressing matters in the days ahead. Josh Hamilton and Mike Napoli can both become free agents next offseason, so contract talks are expected to be a priority this offseason. They may also attempt to counter the additions of Albert Pujols and C.J. Wilson by the division-rival Angels, though general manager Jon Daniels insisted Friday that he isn’t comfortable making a reactive move.
- Angels announce ALDS rotation: Jered Weaver in Game 1, Matt Shoemaker for Game 2 1
- Wild Card Game: Giants vs. Pirates lineups 4
- The beauty of belief 36
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 41
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 15
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 25
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 75
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)