Dec 10, 2011, 2:43 PM EDT
UPDATE: ESPN’s Jerry Crasnick hears that the Cardinals and Furcal have agreed to terms on a two-year deal worth around $14 million, pending a physical. Take that, Angels.
2:27 PM: Jon Paul Morosi of FOXSports.com reports that the two sides are “finishing up” a two-year contract which is likely worth around $14 million. That’s a little steep for someone who has struggled to stay on the field in recent years.
1:01 PM: Jimmy Rollins is close to losing another potential suitor.
Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com hears that the Cardinals are “making progress” on a deal with free agent shortstop Rafael Furcal. The 34-year-old is currently seeking a multi-year contract, but Alex Gonzalez‘s deal with the Brewers this week may create a domino effect among the remaining free agent shortstops.
Furcal batted .231/.298/.348 with eight home runs, 28 RBI, nine stolen bases and a .646 OPS over 368 plate appearances this past season between the Dodgers and Cardinals. Though he struggled with the bat during the Cards’ postseason run, he managed to stay healthy and was a steady presence defensively.
Rollins was probably never a realistic option with St. Louis in the first place, but one wonders whether they’ll make a push for Carlos Beltran with some of their excess cash.
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 2
- The extraordinarily odd, 13-player Dodgers-Marlins-Braves trade is done 55
- Breaking: The Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers 99
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 70
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 106
- Mets, Brewers call off reported Carlos Gomez trade 78
- Dodgers, Marlins, Braves trade involving Mat Latos “simply being held up by paperwork” 76
- The Tigers are going to “reboot;” plan to trade Price and Cespedes 74
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)