Dec 10, 2011, 2:43 PM EDT
UPDATE: ESPN’s Jerry Crasnick hears that the Cardinals and Furcal have agreed to terms on a two-year deal worth around $14 million, pending a physical. Take that, Angels.
2:27 PM: Jon Paul Morosi of FOXSports.com reports that the two sides are “finishing up” a two-year contract which is likely worth around $14 million. That’s a little steep for someone who has struggled to stay on the field in recent years.
1:01 PM: Jimmy Rollins is close to losing another potential suitor.
Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com hears that the Cardinals are “making progress” on a deal with free agent shortstop Rafael Furcal. The 34-year-old is currently seeking a multi-year contract, but Alex Gonzalez‘s deal with the Brewers this week may create a domino effect among the remaining free agent shortstops.
Furcal batted .231/.298/.348 with eight home runs, 28 RBI, nine stolen bases and a .646 OPS over 368 plate appearances this past season between the Dodgers and Cardinals. Though he struggled with the bat during the Cards’ postseason run, he managed to stay healthy and was a steady presence defensively.
Rollins was probably never a realistic option with St. Louis in the first place, but one wonders whether they’ll make a push for Carlos Beltran with some of their excess cash.
- The San Jose lawsuit against Major League Baseball should be thrown out of court 31
- San Jose sues Major League Baseball, challenging its monopoly power 26
- Original Biogenesis source: “the people running Major League Baseball are the biggest scumbags on Earth” 40
- Brian Cashman calls out Yankees hitting coach Kevin Long 49
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 84
- MLB hands down the suspensions for Tuesday night’s Dodgers-Diamondbacks melee (111)
- Neil deGrasse Tyson explains why beanball wars are stupid (104)
- Democrats beat the Republicans 22-0 in the Congressional Baseball Game (98)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (88)
- Can Heat focus enough to avoid elimination?
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL
- PBT: Judges rules Iverson did not kidnap children
- PFT: Rodgers says Packers' moves a 'wake-up call'
- PFT: Beckham turned down chance to kick in NFL