Dec 11, 2011, 11:50 AM EST
Ransom posted a stellar .317/.405/.629 batting line with 27 home runs, 29 doubles and 92 RBI in 432 plate appearances this past year at the Triple-A level, also swiping 10 bases in 13 attempts.
The 35-year-old was a flop when Arizona gave him a shot at major league playing time down the stretch, but he’ll function as quality organizational depth in 2012 for a team still unsure about Stephen Drew‘s recovery timetable from ankle and hernia surgeries.
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 11
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 56
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 141
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 24
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 29
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 37
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 90
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (141)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)