Rockies have trade interest in Boston’s Marco Scutaro

Dec 11, 2011, 6:23 PM EDT

scutaro getty Getty Images

According to FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal, the Rockies have expressed interest in executing a trade for veteran Red Sox infielder Marco Scutaro.

Scutaro is set to earn around $6 million in 2012 via a club option that was exercised at the end of October. That kind of money normally wouldn’t drive the Red Sox front office to the trading table, but the club has exceeded baseball’s luxury-tax threshold in each of the past two offseasons and would reportedly like to trim a bit from their payroll before Opening Day.

Scutaro is expendable in Boston because of the presence of Jed Lowrie, and the expected emergence of shortstop prospect Jose Iglesias. The 36-year-old batted .299/.358/.423 with seven homers and 54 RBI in 445 plate appearances this year while playing his usual brand of steady defense. Colorado could use him frequently at both second base and the hot corner.

1. Ari Collins - Dec 11, 2011 at 6:41 PM

Iglesias isn’t really expected to emerge anymore. And I’d be a bit leery of handing the job to Lowrie, considering he’s had trouble staying healthy and is our only good infield backup. But hey, if we can get a prospect and/or open up some payroll room for an area of real need…

• 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Dec 11, 2011 at 7:55 PM

Forget prospects…Scutaro for Tulo straight up

• Ari Collins - Dec 11, 2011 at 8:09 PM

Hahaha, wow.

• 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Dec 11, 2011 at 8:12 PM

Yes, Ari, I’m being completely 100% serious

• 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Dec 11, 2011 at 8:14 PM

It really is hard to convey sarcasm without putting that stupid ‘/sarcasm’ in your post, but I refuse to do that

• Ari Collins - Dec 11, 2011 at 10:51 PM

There’s a rule on the internet somewhere that in some areas point it’s impossible to tell parodies from stupidity. I think trade offers by homer fans is one of those areas.

• Ari Collins - Dec 11, 2011 at 8:13 PM

I’m still assuming you were joking. But in case this is a reverse sarcasm fail… why would the Rockies do that?

• JBerardi - Dec 11, 2011 at 8:55 PM

“Iglesias isn’t really expected to emerge anymore.”

I don’t know about that. Yeah, he didn’t hit at all in AAA last year, but he was only 21 and scouts still see legit bat speed from him. IE, he can’t hit but from all reports the tools to hit haven’t deserted him. Meanwhile he might be the best defensive shortstop in baseball– minors, majors or otherwise.

All that said I wouldn’t count on getting anything from him in 2012.

2. aceshigh11 - Dec 11, 2011 at 6:45 PM

I don’t know if I would call Scutaro expendable…Lowrie is unfortunately a constant injury threat, and Iglesias may not be ready for prime time yet.

• Ari Collins - Dec 11, 2011 at 7:43 PM

I said it first!

• aceshigh11 - Dec 11, 2011 at 7:53 PM

Wow, talk about being on the same wavelength…ha!

• Ari Collins - Dec 11, 2011 at 8:10 PM

Seriously!

• Glenn - Dec 11, 2011 at 8:20 PM

Get a room! ;-)

3. yankeesjetsknicksrangers - Dec 11, 2011 at 7:34 PM

I’d be happy to see him go, he always seemed to have those long at bats where he took a lot of pitches, fouled a few off, then blooped in a base hit.

4. uyf1950 - Dec 11, 2011 at 7:45 PM

Kind of funny to see a piece about the Red Sox wanting/trying to trim payroll and the amount they are talking about at least in baseball terms is a mere $6MM. Especially when it’s their 2011 starting SS.

• Ari Collins - Dec 11, 2011 at 7:52 PM

Only one team has no hard payroll limit.

• uyf1950 - Dec 11, 2011 at 8:19 PM

They probably do have a hard payroll limit. They just haven’t hit it yet or announced what it is to the baseball world. That plus the fact in my opinion is they don’t let third parties, like a bunch of outside baseball bureaucrats, dictate their business model.

5. agabarr - Dec 11, 2011 at 7:46 PM

Maki

6. shaunri - Dec 11, 2011 at 7:53 PM

After years in the shortstop wilderness (Renteria, Lugo), Scutaro brought some stability to the position and, along with Ellsbury, played well this past September. Unless they have something else in mind, Lowrie and Iglesias don’t seem like realistic options.

As one Red Sox fan, I hope Scutaro stays.

• Ari Collins - Dec 11, 2011 at 8:12 PM

Agreed, UNLESS the payroll space allows for someone nifty like Darvish or Jackson.

• Francisco (FC) - Dec 12, 2011 at 8:44 AM

I hope he stays with Boston, if only to watch him on occasion when he comes to Toronto to play the Jays…

7. agabarr - Dec 11, 2011 at 8:20 PM

Making room for Hanley Ramirez

• Ari Collins - Dec 11, 2011 at 8:42 PM

I know he’ll probably bounce back next year, but are you aware that Scutaro was quite a bit better than Hanley last year? I wasn’t!

• uyf1950 - Dec 11, 2011 at 11:13 PM

Considering Ramirez will make $15MM in 2012 versus the $6MM Scutaro is scheduled to make wouldn’t think that’s the kind of deal that will help the Red Sox stay under the luxury tax. Also considering Ramirez also owned over $15MM in both 2013 and 2014 do the Red Sox really want to have $90MM plus tied up in just 5 players in those years if they took on Ramirez’s contract.

8. 1overmind - Dec 11, 2011 at 10:41 PM

I like Aviles more than Scutaro or Lowrie. 317 with Boston and was over .300 twice with the Royals, plus hit a bill right through the sports authority sign. he could have another year like his rookie year if he started 100+ games… but he may be their RH right fielder from what i’ve heard.

Pujols deal still worth it to Angels?
  1. I. Davis (4129)