Another call for an MVP re-vote

Dec 12, 2011, 12:20 PM EDT

Milwaukee Brewers' Ryan Braun celebrates his 2 RBIs against the St. Louis Cardinals in the 5th inning of Game 1 in the MLB National League Championship Series baseball playoffs in Milwaukee

Kevin Kernan of the New York Post joins the chorus. Well, the duet:

If Ryan Braun’s 50-game suspension for testing positive for a banned substance is upheld, there should be a re-vote for NL MVP. And he should change his name to Ryan Brawn. Or maybe even Ryan Fraud.

1. Old Gator - Dec 12, 2011 at 12:24 PM

Re-vote!
    Re-vote!
    RE-VOTE!

• thefalcon123 - Dec 12, 2011 at 12:33 PM

I would fully support it if they re-voted and Braun STILL got the MVP.

• thefalcon123 - Dec 12, 2011 at 1:46 PM

Note: I don’t think he should have gotten the award in the first place, but it would be a very enjoyable “fuck you” to Kevin Kernan.

• giant4life - Dec 12, 2011 at 1:11 PM

Clearly the negative test of MVP Ryan Braun is the very reason WHY the MLB drug policy is flawed. I would like to see the results of appeal first…Doesn’t everyone deserve at least this much….IF GUILTY?, Braun is a great example, on the why this witch hunt is so disturbing…..How many others are there? We will never know who did or didn’t…..Ever. The main point is who cares….The fact that he ingested a drug is his concern……In no way does it effect the game or any other player….Does it make Kemp a better player? Oh, he wasn’t tested in October…Baseball is a grueling season…You don’t believe that other award wining players have used in the pat?…..Please!…..The number of players who take illegal ADHD drugs is alarming. Will these drugs help them hit, run, catch? No, I think not. When those with the loudest voice in taking his award away….can prove…..that those in the past 100 years…did not take illegal substances to help them get through another game…….then I am all for it…..save your self-righteous, self-indulgent bigotry to your own glass house.

• Old Gator - Dec 12, 2011 at 3:11 PM

“All of Milwaukee has come against me.”
      …Toussaint Louverture

2. brewcrewfan54 - Dec 12, 2011 at 12:26 PM

Isn’t the New York Post basically a tabloid? With such a great place on his resume he could easily go work for ESPN and feel right at home on his first day.

• Old Gator - Dec 12, 2011 at 12:46 PM

No, the New York Pestilence isn’t “basically” a tabloid. It is quintessentially a tabloid.

• brewcrewfan54 - Dec 12, 2011 at 1:12 PM

Thank you for the clarification Gator.

• Old Gator - Dec 12, 2011 at 2:16 PM

No charge.

• brewcrewfan54 - Dec 12, 2011 at 2:30 PM

Ha!

3. Chris Fiorentino - Dec 12, 2011 at 12:29 PM

Computers!!!
    Computers!!!
    Computers!!!

• trevorb06 - Dec 12, 2011 at 12:36 PM

Your wife prefers electronic devices, too.

• Chris Fiorentino - Dec 12, 2011 at 1:49 PM

Wow that’s a real dick thing to say…and what a surprise…24 assholes vote thumbs up about something they don’t know anything about. F U people.

• Jonny 5 - Dec 12, 2011 at 2:02 PM

My wife does too. She’s sworn off scrubbing our clothes on a rock in the river and gone Maytag 100% of the time. She hates smoke signals, it’s the Phone from here on out. Nothing to be ashamed of imo…. PS: Chris beware of the spin cycle though, it’s been known to kill marriages…

• bravojawja - Dec 12, 2011 at 2:01 PM

Dude – I think you left your tag open

4. thefalcon123 - Dec 12, 2011 at 12:32 PM

Did I miss the part of the testing agreement that said players should be retroactively stripped of their awards? He was voted MVP because voters thought he was the most valuable to his team…did the steroids make his 2011 season less valuable? It seems as though his punishment is a 50 game suspension, not stripping awards.

• comeonnowguys - Dec 12, 2011 at 12:45 PM

Wow. That’s some crazy-@$$ rationalization.

• Bill - Dec 12, 2011 at 12:52 PM

How so? Seems spot-on to me.

5. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Dec 12, 2011 at 12:34 PM

I’d ask that we wait to see what he was banned for before we go off the deep end but…oh, I see that’s already happened.

6. JBerardi - Dec 12, 2011 at 12:35 PM

“Ryan Brawn. Or maybe even Ryan Fraud.”

Man, if there was a PED to make you funny, I’d recommend this guy take a near-leathal dose of it.

• Gobias Industries - Dec 12, 2011 at 1:04 PM

If he was gonna go all punny on us, he could’ve at least used Lyin’ Braun.

Sorry, guess I could use a dose of funny PED’s myself.

• JBerardi - Dec 12, 2011 at 1:05 PM

Actually that’s way better than either of his…

7. JBerardi - Dec 12, 2011 at 12:36 PM

Alright, who forgot to close their italic tag?

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Dec 12, 2011 at 12:39 PM

I’ll blame the computers

• trevorb06 - Dec 12, 2011 at 12:42 PM

Fiorentino…

• paperlions - Dec 12, 2011 at 1:05 PM

Am I the only one reading this with a 7% head lean to the right?

• Chris Fiorentino - Dec 12, 2011 at 1:37 PM

Not me…I closed my tag.

8. stairwayto7 - Dec 12, 2011 at 12:39 PM

Not surprising that a player from wisconsin is cheating.. Wait for the Clay Mathews HGH results!

• bobwsc - Dec 12, 2011 at 1:06 PM

bozosforall has rights to this schtick.

• bozosforall - Dec 12, 2011 at 1:12 PM

I OWN you, loser.

• bobwsc - Dec 12, 2011 at 2:16 PM

seek help

• brewcrewfan54 - Dec 12, 2011 at 1:29 PM

Jokes on you. Nobody cares if you’re caught roiding in the NFL.

9. nyyfaninbama - Dec 12, 2011 at 12:39 PM

And while they are at in the BBWA can re-vote for the years Jason Giambi, Barry Bonds, Alex Rodriguez and numerous others won their MVP’s. If they take Braun’s away – even before the process is complete – then they have to take them all.

• bozosforall - Dec 12, 2011 at 1:13 PM

Add to that all of the WS titles won from 2003 to 2008. Particularly the two that Boston won with confirmed steroid cheats Manny Ramirez and David Ortiz.

• thefalcon123 - Dec 12, 2011 at 1:38 PM

Better take them away from everyone else to. I mean, Canseco estimated 75% were on roids, Caminit estimated 50%….if we go very conservative and say 10%, we still don’t now who a vast majority of steroid users were.

How about everyone just accept the fact it happened, it was a bad thing and now baseball has a system in place to help prevent it. …and we punish players with 50 and 100 game suspensions, not retroactive award stripping.

• JBerardi - Dec 12, 2011 at 3:36 PM

Uhh… Roger Clemens? Andy Petttttttttttttitte (however many fucking Ts he has in his name)? Gary Sheffield? Alex Rodriguez? Jason Giambi? Are these names ringing any bells for you?

• sasquash20 - Dec 12, 2011 at 1:55 PM

They should take all of there awards away to disgrace them. The same way they disgraced the record books. I say wait to the facts come out on RB, before we bury him. That being said he shouldn’t have gotten the MVP in the first place. Feilder had a good season as well. I thought they should have canceled out each other. Kemp in my opinion should have gotten the MVP. I know his team sucked, but he had a monster year.

10. natsattack - Dec 12, 2011 at 12:48 PM

Aramid Ramirez for 3 yes with the Brewers

11. natsattack - Dec 12, 2011 at 12:48 PM

*years

• Thunder Chicken - Dec 12, 2011 at 1:34 PM

*Aramis

12. 18thstreet - Dec 12, 2011 at 12:52 PM

He should change his name to Max Power.

• phukyouk - Dec 12, 2011 at 1:34 PM

WOW! what a treat… 2 in one day… Im loving HBT today

• 18thstreet - Dec 12, 2011 at 1:57 PM

Wait, did someone make this joke already? Because I was sure I was going to get a flood of thumbs up for it.

• phukyouk - Dec 12, 2011 at 2:25 PM

no but someone made a “homer at bat” reference in the Manny blog

• 18thstreet - Dec 12, 2011 at 3:38 PM

With Roger Clemens, clucking all the while
        Mike Scocia’s tragic illness made us smile
        While Wade Boggs lay unconscious on the barroom tile.

13. 18thstreet - Dec 12, 2011 at 12:54 PM

Ryan Howard was robbed.

14. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Dec 12, 2011 at 1:05 PM

Then what if the NEW winner gets busted for something a few months later?

15. m22pank - Dec 12, 2011 at 1:11 PM

Anyone else find it interesting that he points out Ryan Braun, Barry Bonds, and Ken Caminiti as cheaters? I’m still looking for the part where he talks about the American League and/or Alex Rodriguez…it must be there…a responsible journalist wouldn’t make it that obvious that he is a Yankees fan…would he?

• bozosforall - Dec 12, 2011 at 1:15 PM

If you are going to bring up the time that Alex Rodriguez tested positive (as a Texas Ranger, not a Yankee…but don’t let that get in the way of your Yankee hate), then we might as well also bring up Sammy Sosa, Manny Ramirez and David Ortiz, the other three that got outed as testing positive in 2003.

• sasquash20 - Dec 12, 2011 at 2:01 PM

I’m a Yankoff hater. Just so everyone knows. Gayrod should be treated like the cheater that he is and was. I have no respect and never will have respect for anything he accomplished on the field. Yeah he clearly isn’t juicing now. His numbers show that. His body shows how much he must have juiced. He has missed multiple chunks of time the last few years for steriod related injuries.

All that being said all the guys you mentioned are just as bad as gayrod. Maybe even more so.

• m22pank - Dec 12, 2011 at 2:27 PM

Yes I must be a Yankee hater…don’t foget the fact that A-Rod has openly admitted to using steriods during his MVP year…but if that makes me a Yankee hater…than I’m good with that…and you proved another of my points, three of the four guys you mentioned were Amereican League guys…you also forgot McGwire and Clemens…

I was just trying to say that it feels as though the writer was biased…calling out Braun before all the facts come out, and calling out other guys but totally neglecting to include the guy for the team he covers and players from teams that the Yankees play all the time?!? That seems a little fishy to me…if the guy feels he should make a stink over something that is still being investigated, he should probably be ready to admit to mistakes from the team he covers, not pass the buck to other parts of the league that doesn’t affect the Yankees…

• 18thstreet - Dec 12, 2011 at 3:39 PM

“Gayrod.”

Classic!

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Dec 12, 2011 at 4:40 PM

“Gayrod.”

Classic!</blockquote

yes, b/c calling people gay is funny!

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Dec 12, 2011 at 4:40 PM

“Gayrod.”

Classic!

sigh,

yes, b/c calling people gay is funny!

16. sweetmike7 - Dec 12, 2011 at 1:18 PM

I may agree that taking steroids did not assist him in hitting more home runs or hit in the clutch but it is illegal and if he did take them he should be diciplined and a call for a re-vote is in order. I think some athletes take the dugs to help in the recovery process when they are injured..

• sasquash20 - Dec 12, 2011 at 2:05 PM

steroids most certainly help you hit home runs. Anyone who disagrees is brain dead. Look at Big Mac, Sosa, Gayrod, Bonds. What did they all just suddenly figure out how to hit 15-25 more jacks a year at the same time out of nowhere?

• phillyphreak - Dec 12, 2011 at 2:16 PM

Gayrod. Clever.

Food for thought: http://joeposnanski.si.com/2010/08/06/what-if-we-are-wrong-again-about-steroids/

17. franklapidus316 - Dec 12, 2011 at 1:28 PM

Kevin Kernan is clearly a raging Anti-Dentite. Next thing he’ll be saying is Dentists should have their own schools.

• koufaxmitzvah - Dec 12, 2011 at 2:18 PM

Subtle stupidity is still stupid.

18. Thunder Chicken - Dec 12, 2011 at 1:31 PM

What’s the line on the 2013 Comeback Player of the Year?

19. phukyouk - Dec 12, 2011 at 1:45 PM

someone broke the internet… everything is sideways… Craig please fix

20. trevorb06 - Dec 12, 2011 at 1:45 PM

• trevorb06 - Dec 12, 2011 at 1:46 PM

Damn, my html brain ain’t working on embedding a video.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Dec 12, 2011 at 1:52 PM

just copy/paste the entire url, don’t have to use any html tags to get it to embed. see

21. Kyle - Dec 12, 2011 at 1:49 PM

“Sorry, I need to take the rest of the day off to attend to this nosebleed from the discourse gettin’ all elevated like that.”
    Bravo.That’s just some really good stuff right there.

22. stoutfiles - Dec 12, 2011 at 2:14 PM

. Did I fix the italics?

• stoutfiles - Dec 12, 2011 at 2:16 PM

Nope. This site was coded by a ten year old.

• phukyouk - Dec 12, 2011 at 2:27 PM

• JBerardi - Dec 12, 2011 at 3:40 PM

A ten year old would probably have the sense to avoid making 200+ HTTP calls for a bunch of unless web analytics crap… hey, HBT corporate overlords, you want some analysis? Give us some good content (you do) in a readable site (it’s reasonable) that loads quickly (massive fail). You don’t need to track every freaking mouse click, this stuff isn’t that complicated. Just make your website work better!

23. cintiphil - Dec 12, 2011 at 3:16 PM

I wanted Kemp to get it all along.

24. metalhead65 - Dec 12, 2011 at 3:57 PM

I am all in favor of guilty untill priven innocent but in this case and others like it not so much. really how stupid do you have to be to fail a drug test? as a professional athelete why would put yourself even remotly in a position to fail by taking anything other than what your trainer and team supply you with? either you did or didn’t not that hard and the rules are pretty plain. I am sick of people like craig being outraged at the fact somebody got caught and now they have to pay for it. you and other stat morons may think it is ok to do whatever it takes to get your precious numbers but older long time fans who have played and watched baseball our whole life do think there is something wrong in cheating to get those numbers. and because there are rules to prevent people from doing it they should serve the penalty when they get caught. because of the numbers he put up he won a award for being the best in the game and you think it is ok he cheated to get it? Kemp did not and last I checked he did not fail a drug test so we must assume he came by his numbers honestly. now go ahead and make fun of my grammer, spelling and the fact I disagree with you as you usally do when disagreeing with my view.

25. thetooloftools - Dec 12, 2011 at 5:23 PM

So let me get this straight. You can use performance enhancing drugs and while using them, get voted MVP, and then get suspended for 50 games?
    What kind of sense does that make?
    I have a better idea. Don’t test for ANY drugs and just let the players go nuts.

Can Angels recoup loss of Richards?
  1. R. Castillo (4753)