Dec 12, 2011, 5:34 PM EDT
Sports Business Journal puts a list together each year naming the most influential people in sports business. The new one is out and Bud Selig is pretty darn high on that list: number 2.
Now, number one and number 16 happen to be my bosses, so I don’t want Bud getting too big a head about all of this (Will Bud return my calls now? I’m pretty sure he has to based on the rankings), but that’s a pretty amazing showing for the head of Major League Baseball. A league which has long been maligned when it comes to business savvy and all of that.
But SBJ is right here: Selig pretty much kicked butt and took names this year, be it throwing Frank McCourt to the curb to seeing revenues go up again to getting a collective bargaining agreement in place without any blood on the floor. At least any of his own.
Other baseball heavy hitters on the list: John Henry and Hal Steinbrenner. MLB Executive VP of Business Tim Brosnan. MLBPA honcho Michael Weiner. MLBAM head Bob Bowman.
People still like to use the tired old line about Selig being a car salesman, but the league is a long way from the days when small business owners with small vision were in charge. It’s just an incredibly sophisticated enterprise these days, and there are a lot of really competent people running things.
Which is boring for a blogger like me, but it is great for the league.
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 50
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 17
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)