Dec 12, 2011, 5:34 PM EDT
Sports Business Journal puts a list together each year naming the most influential people in sports business. The new one is out and Bud Selig is pretty darn high on that list: number 2.
Now, number one and number 16 happen to be my bosses, so I don’t want Bud getting too big a head about all of this (Will Bud return my calls now? I’m pretty sure he has to based on the rankings), but that’s a pretty amazing showing for the head of Major League Baseball. A league which has long been maligned when it comes to business savvy and all of that.
But SBJ is right here: Selig pretty much kicked butt and took names this year, be it throwing Frank McCourt to the curb to seeing revenues go up again to getting a collective bargaining agreement in place without any blood on the floor. At least any of his own.
Other baseball heavy hitters on the list: John Henry and Hal Steinbrenner. MLB Executive VP of Business Tim Brosnan. MLBPA honcho Michael Weiner. MLBAM head Bob Bowman.
People still like to use the tired old line about Selig being a car salesman, but the league is a long way from the days when small business owners with small vision were in charge. It’s just an incredibly sophisticated enterprise these days, and there are a lot of really competent people running things.
Which is boring for a blogger like me, but it is great for the league.
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 17
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 56
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 95
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)