Dec 12, 2011, 4:33 PM EDT
Last month general manager John Mozeliak indicated that Daniel Descalso would open the season as the Cardinals’ starting second baseman, but Schumaker’s presence means at the very least he’ll likely have to fight for the gig.
Jon Jay also seems fairly entrenched as the primary center fielder, but Schumaker could give him competition as well after starting over Jay at times during the World Series run.
Schumaker has one season of arbitration eligibility remaining, so a two-year deal would buy out his first season of free agency after the 31-year-old career-long Cardinal hit .283 with two homers and a .685 OPS in 117 games.
- Giants receive their 2014 World Series championship rings 5
- Angels activate Garrett Richards for Sunday debut 2
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 35
- Video: Watch Kris Bryant get his first major league hit and RBI 12
- Yordano Ventura ejected for hitting Brett Lawrie with a pitch 38
- Pete Rose joins FOX as a baseball analyst 25
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 55
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 28
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)