Dec 12, 2011, 4:33 PM EDT
Last month general manager John Mozeliak indicated that Daniel Descalso would open the season as the Cardinals’ starting second baseman, but Schumaker’s presence means at the very least he’ll likely have to fight for the gig.
Jon Jay also seems fairly entrenched as the primary center fielder, but Schumaker could give him competition as well after starting over Jay at times during the World Series run.
Schumaker has one season of arbitration eligibility remaining, so a two-year deal would buy out his first season of free agency after the 31-year-old career-long Cardinal hit .283 with two homers and a .685 OPS in 117 games.
- 2014 Preview: Chicago Cubs 1
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” 34
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 18
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 60
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 12