Dec 12, 2011, 4:33 PM EDT
Last month general manager John Mozeliak indicated that Daniel Descalso would open the season as the Cardinals’ starting second baseman, but Schumaker’s presence means at the very least he’ll likely have to fight for the gig.
Jon Jay also seems fairly entrenched as the primary center fielder, but Schumaker could give him competition as well after starting over Jay at times during the World Series run.
Schumaker has one season of arbitration eligibility remaining, so a two-year deal would buy out his first season of free agency after the 31-year-old career-long Cardinal hit .283 with two homers and a .685 OPS in 117 games.
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 14
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 6
- Pirates acquire Ike Davis in a trade with the Mets 39
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 49
- VIDEO: The Yankees turned a triple play against the Rays 24
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)