Dec 12, 2011, 11:19 AM EDT
Over the weekend there were several reports that Jimmy Rollins underwent minor surgery to remove a ganglion cyst from his left wrist, but this morning Matt Gelb of the Philadelphia Inquirer clarified the situation via Twitter, writing:
For those wondering, it was erroneously reported in two media outlets that Jimmy Rollins had minor wrist surgery. He did not.
I’m not entirely sure where the mix-up stems from, but Rollins did undergo minor wrist surgery last offseason. Almost a year ago to the day of the incorrect reports this time around, in fact, so that probably explains the glitch and why, for instance, MLB.com basically scrubbed all evidence of the recent version that went out.
Most of his expected free agent options have dried up, with the Brewers signing Alex Gonzalez and the Cardinals re-signing Rafael Furcal, so at this point just about everyone seems to think Rollins returning to Philadelphia is all but given. And his odds of getting the five-year contract he wants, which were slim to begin with, are probably non-existent.
UPDATE: Rollins took to Twitter to clear things up.
- Report: Cubs calling up prospect infielder Addison Russell 0
- Jonathan Lucroy headed to disabled list with broken toe 5
- Reds manager Bryan Price goes on profanity-laden tirade against media 44
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 75
- Report: Marlins manager Mike Redmond is on the hot seat 40
- Five Royals ejected in Sunday’s series finale against the Athletics 88
- White Sox will promote Carlos Rodon on Monday 14
- Another one bites the dust: Mets lose young catcher Travis d’Arnaud to fractured right hand 14
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (129)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (107)