Dec 12, 2011, 11:19 AM EDT
Over the weekend there were several reports that Jimmy Rollins underwent minor surgery to remove a ganglion cyst from his left wrist, but this morning Matt Gelb of the Philadelphia Inquirer clarified the situation via Twitter, writing:
For those wondering, it was erroneously reported in two media outlets that Jimmy Rollins had minor wrist surgery. He did not.
I’m not entirely sure where the mix-up stems from, but Rollins did undergo minor wrist surgery last offseason. Almost a year ago to the day of the incorrect reports this time around, in fact, so that probably explains the glitch and why, for instance, MLB.com basically scrubbed all evidence of the recent version that went out.
Most of his expected free agent options have dried up, with the Brewers signing Alex Gonzalez and the Cardinals re-signing Rafael Furcal, so at this point just about everyone seems to think Rollins returning to Philadelphia is all but given. And his odds of getting the five-year contract he wants, which were slim to begin with, are probably non-existent.
UPDATE: Rollins took to Twitter to clear things up.
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 26
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 12
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 28
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 23
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 35
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves 70
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)