Dec 12, 2011, 11:19 AM EDT
Over the weekend there were several reports that Jimmy Rollins underwent minor surgery to remove a ganglion cyst from his left wrist, but this morning Matt Gelb of the Philadelphia Inquirer clarified the situation via Twitter, writing:
For those wondering, it was erroneously reported in two media outlets that Jimmy Rollins had minor wrist surgery. He did not.
I’m not entirely sure where the mix-up stems from, but Rollins did undergo minor wrist surgery last offseason. Almost a year ago to the day of the incorrect reports this time around, in fact, so that probably explains the glitch and why, for instance, MLB.com basically scrubbed all evidence of the recent version that went out.
Most of his expected free agent options have dried up, with the Brewers signing Alex Gonzalez and the Cardinals re-signing Rafael Furcal, so at this point just about everyone seems to think Rollins returning to Philadelphia is all but given. And his odds of getting the five-year contract he wants, which were slim to begin with, are probably non-existent.
UPDATE: Rollins took to Twitter to clear things up.
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case 35
- Rafael Soriano took back all that stuff he said about Bryce Harper 10
- Don Mattingly may be uttering his last words as Dodgers manager 41
- Jaime Garcia needs shoulder surgery 6
- Rafael Soriano calls out Bryce Harper for the game-tying triple last night 60
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (110)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (92)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- PBT: Rugged Pacers hope to slow high-flying Heat
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games
- PFT: Crabtree reportedly tears achilles, out for year
- PHT: Canucks reportedly fire Vigneault, assistants