Dec 12, 2011, 11:19 AM EST
Over the weekend there were several reports that Jimmy Rollins underwent minor surgery to remove a ganglion cyst from his left wrist, but this morning Matt Gelb of the Philadelphia Inquirer clarified the situation via Twitter, writing:
For those wondering, it was erroneously reported in two media outlets that Jimmy Rollins had minor wrist surgery. He did not.
I’m not entirely sure where the mix-up stems from, but Rollins did undergo minor wrist surgery last offseason. Almost a year ago to the day of the incorrect reports this time around, in fact, so that probably explains the glitch and why, for instance, MLB.com basically scrubbed all evidence of the recent version that went out.
Most of his expected free agent options have dried up, with the Brewers signing Alex Gonzalez and the Cardinals re-signing Rafael Furcal, so at this point just about everyone seems to think Rollins returning to Philadelphia is all but given. And his odds of getting the five-year contract he wants, which were slim to begin with, are probably non-existent.
UPDATE: Rollins took to Twitter to clear things up.
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 13
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 46
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 40
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 285
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 27
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (285)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (134)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)