Dec 12, 2011, 11:19 AM EDT
Over the weekend there were several reports that Jimmy Rollins underwent minor surgery to remove a ganglion cyst from his left wrist, but this morning Matt Gelb of the Philadelphia Inquirer clarified the situation via Twitter, writing:
For those wondering, it was erroneously reported in two media outlets that Jimmy Rollins had minor wrist surgery. He did not.
I’m not entirely sure where the mix-up stems from, but Rollins did undergo minor wrist surgery last offseason. Almost a year ago to the day of the incorrect reports this time around, in fact, so that probably explains the glitch and why, for instance, MLB.com basically scrubbed all evidence of the recent version that went out.
Most of his expected free agent options have dried up, with the Brewers signing Alex Gonzalez and the Cardinals re-signing Rafael Furcal, so at this point just about everyone seems to think Rollins returning to Philadelphia is all but given. And his odds of getting the five-year contract he wants, which were slim to begin with, are probably non-existent.
UPDATE: Rollins took to Twitter to clear things up.
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 13
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 17
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 48
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 134
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (136)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)