Dec 12, 2011, 2:42 PM EDT
Marlins catcher John Buck and his wife were driving around their neighborhood Thursday morning when they came upon a car that had flipped over after crashing into a tree.
Buck shared the details of what happened next with Joe Capozzi of the Palm Beach Post:
“I kind of saw a hand pulling at the window,’’ he said. “I looked at my wife and my wife’s like, ‘Go help! Just go!’’
Buck ran to the overturned car and went to work with two other Good Samaritans. Buck and a bus driver who stopped to give assistance were able to help the car’s driver crawl out of a window of the upside-down car. Buck and another man pulled the passenger out.
Buck also called 911, but at the scene he said: “I didn’t do a whole lot of talking—everybody was speaking Spanish around me.’’
It didn’t take long for police and paramedics to arrive. Buck said the injuries to the two elderly women did not look life-threatening. He said he thinks the passenger might have suffered a broken leg; the driver didn’t appear to be physically hurt too much.
And then Buck got back into his car and picked up his son from school.
- Who really owns a home run ball? 56
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 125
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 127
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week 122
- Dodgers left-hander Hyun-Jin Ryu to have season-ending shoulder surgery 8
- Remembering David Letterman’s best sports moments 11
- Ryan Zimmerman is Mr. Walk-Off (and the numbers to prove it) 11
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (128)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (125)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)