John Buck rescued two women from an overturned car

Dec 12, 2011, 2:42 PM EDT

Buck_John

Marlins catcher John Buck and his wife were driving around their neighborhood Thursday morning when they came upon a car that had flipped over after crashing into a tree.

Buck shared the details of what happened next with Joe Capozzi of the Palm Beach Post:

“I kind of saw a hand pulling at the window,’’ he said. “I looked at my wife and my wife’s like, ‘Go help! Just go!’’

Buck ran to the overturned car and went to work with two other Good Samaritans. Buck and a bus driver who stopped to give assistance were able to help the car’s driver crawl out of a window of the upside-down car. Buck and another man pulled the passenger out.

Buck also called 911, but at the scene he said: “I didn’t do a whole lot of talking—everybody was speaking Spanish around me.’’

It didn’t take long for police and paramedics to arrive. Buck said the injuries to the two elderly women did not look life-threatening. He said he thinks the passenger might have suffered a broken leg; the driver didn’t appear to be physically hurt too much.

And then Buck got back into his car and picked up his son from school.

1. Francisco (FC) - Dec 12, 2011 at 2:46 PM

Good for Buck and the Bus Driver… but unless there’s a fire or any indication of immediate peril, it’s usually not wise to move people from the accident site unless they’ve been checked out by the paramedics. You have no idea if they’ve suffered internal injuries that can be aggravated by moving, pulling or pushing people out of the wreck.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Dec 12, 2011 at 2:53 PM

You make a good point, but this still makes for one heck of a story. Always good to hear good samaritan stories like these, especially if an MLB player is involved.

• koufaxmitzvah - Dec 12, 2011 at 3:10 PM

This is true. There was a CHiPs episode where John and Ponch were accused of moving a car accident victim. THEY ACTUALLY DID NOT DO THE MOVING OF THE VICTIM. This was proven by the end of the episode. Still, BOTH JOHN AND PONCH RECEIVED SUSPENSIONS FROM WORK.

It was a heady episode.

• davemac32001 - Dec 12, 2011 at 4:04 PM

John and Ponch have never quite gotten over that…

• stlouis1baseball - Dec 12, 2011 at 4:05 PM

Hahaha! Your killing me Sandy!

2. El Bravo - Dec 12, 2011 at 2:50 PM

My name is Buck and I like to ____. (sorry, but I’m contractually obligated to cite this movie line anytime Buck is in the news)

• phukyouk - Dec 12, 2011 at 3:02 PM

Duck?

• El Bravo - Dec 12, 2011 at 3:19 PM

*save people from overturned cars.

• Jonny 5 - Dec 12, 2011 at 3:29 PM

I am 100 % addicted to Kill Bill vol. 1&2. Any time I’m channel surfing, and those movies are on I have to watch them. I can’t not watch. Much like an accident.

• El Bravo - Dec 12, 2011 at 3:41 PM

Well it looks like Vol 3 is slated for 2014. Looks like another revenge flick is coming first from Mr. Tarantino.

• stlouis1baseball - Dec 12, 2011 at 4:06 PM

Eat dinner with John Kruk?

3. Kyle - Dec 12, 2011 at 3:10 PM

Like a boss.

• cur68 - Dec 12, 2011 at 9:55 PM

Like a stud, but yeah…

4. alainavarro - Dec 12, 2011 at 3:23 PM

que buen trabajo es bueno estar listo para ayudar al projimo.
    y si es cierto en miami se habla mucho el español, y Ochocinco es prueba viviente de eso.

• stlouis1baseball - Dec 12, 2011 at 4:17 PM

Alain Navarro: Your spanish translates to….”That good work is good to be ready to help your neighbor, and if it is true in Miami spoke much english, and Ochocinco is living proof of that.”

It makes no sense whatsoever.
      As a result, please do us a favor and leave that crap for the signage at Lowe’s, the inner city School’s or the stinking ATM. We ain’t in Mexico Holmes.

• El Bravo - Dec 12, 2011 at 5:05 PM

Are you taking your frustrations of losing El Hombre out on all Latinos now? We have ourselves a minute man in the making.

• stlouis1baseball - Dec 12, 2011 at 5:33 PM

Hahaha! No Bravo…but I appreciate your “stab at it.” Just a little tired of all the crap…all the freaking time Man. I have ZERO problems with someone wanting to make a better life for themselves. I mean that sincerely. If I were in their shoes and saw my Mother and Father work their fingers to the bone and their hands litterally until they bled…and I heard from the time I was a little kid…”go north to the promise land”…you can bet your ass I would head north.
        Hell…I think we need to make it easier on them. Roll out the red carpet if you will.
        Again…I mean that sincerely. Make it easier. That way…we have LEGAL citizens who have legitimate S.S.N’s with legitimate (fully legal) documentation. Then our Gov’t can tax their asses till’ their hearts are content like they do the rest of us. This leads to each individual citizen bringing something to the table. Something tangible. Simple really.
        But the one big…huge thing I take issue with is the seemingly total lack of desire to assimilate (as evidenced by Navarro’s post).
        If I am in France…Italy…The Netherlands…etc…it is on ME to assimilate to their culture. Again…simple really cause’ they (France, Italy, The Netherlands, etc…)owe me nothing.

• jpeetey - Dec 12, 2011 at 6:18 PM

Actually, St. Lou, his post makes perfect sense. You’re just not educated enough to be able to read it and instead used a crappy internet translation. He said: “What a good job, it’s good to be ready to help your neighbor. And yes it’s true much Spanish is spoken in Miami, Ochocinco is living proof of this.”

Contrary to your supposition, Mr. Navarro apparently was able to read this article in English, so you’ve actually no evidence that he doesn’t desire to assimilate and instead made an ugly, bigoted screed. As a result, please do us a favor and leave that crap for Tea Party rallies, Klan meetings or the stinking pile of cow manure on your farm (in which you undoubtedly bathe). We aren’t in Mississippi, chap.

5. jeromebrown99 - Dec 12, 2011 at 10:41 PM

Jpeetey
    I read a lot of posts on this site. I must say that although I have interests in getting involved with Illegals debate, you just made a grown man ( I’m taking a shotgun the dark about the man) cry. Someone is naked, crawled up in a ball, drinking booze heavily, crying really loud in St Louis somewhere, and it’s not bc they lost their slugger. Very nicely put response my man.

• jpeetey - Dec 12, 2011 at 11:02 PM

I’m actually a U grad, so you can imagine how stoked I was to get e-props from Jerome Brown. Anything to bring the thread home for Jerome.

• stlouis1baseball - Dec 13, 2011 at 10:08 AM

Peetey. Not following. I am not from Mississippi..nor did I grow up on a farm. Did you even bother to read my post or did you skim through it and pick things out that you wanted to “discuss” out of context? Had you read it…you would have seen that I specifically mentioned NOT begruding them as a result of wanting a better life. Further, (dip shit)…you would have found that I openly admitted I would do nothing different if I were in their shoes. I feel they need to assimilate. Once assimilation takes place…understanding and acceptance follows. Mr. Navarro reading this in English and then posting in Spanish proves nothing…except the fact that he chose to respond in Spanish. Which is EXCATLY the point. Nothing bigoted whatsoever. Nothing racist whatsoever. My best friend since the age of 7 years old is Hispanic for crying out loud. His Mother and Father moved up here from Brownsville, Texas shortly after getting married in the late 60’s. He and I (and his family) have had this conversation numerous times. It’s people like you…who throw out the race card, bigot card, hillbilly card, etc… that will NEVER get anything positive accomplished. If it hurts your feelings to discuss it perhaps you should move back England.

Don't count out the Yankees just yet
  1. R. Castillo (4723)