Dec 12, 2011, 2:24 PM EST
Back in September we learned that a Dominican Republic hotel owned by former major leaguer Jose Rijo was raided in connection with an investigation into the murder of a journalist. The accused: Matias Avelino Castro, a business associate of Rijo’s.
Seems that since then Rijo has been subpoenaed and wanted for questioning. Except he keeps refusing to show up and now has an arrest warrant out on him. Which technically makes him a fugitive.
That’s pretty astounding. Not as astounding as the fact that he was once involved in the same trade as Tim Birtsas, Jay Howell, Stan Javier, Eric Plunk, Bert Bradley, Rickey Henderson and cash. But still pretty astounding.
- Mets sign 40-year-old Bartolo Colon for two years, $20 million 20
- MLB rules committee decides to eliminate collisions at home plate 29
- Mariners sign Corey Hart to incentive-laden deal 27
- David Price would not consider an extension with the Mariners if he’s traded there 33
- Media paying for athlete interviews? Not likely. But watch this stuff closely anyway. 20
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Managers, GMs to meet today to discuss the abolition of home plate collisions (113)