Dec 12, 2011, 2:24 PM EST
Back in September we learned that a Dominican Republic hotel owned by former major leaguer Jose Rijo was raided in connection with an investigation into the murder of a journalist. The accused: Matias Avelino Castro, a business associate of Rijo’s.
Seems that since then Rijo has been subpoenaed and wanted for questioning. Except he keeps refusing to show up and now has an arrest warrant out on him. Which technically makes him a fugitive.
That’s pretty astounding. Not as astounding as the fact that he was once involved in the same trade as Tim Birtsas, Jay Howell, Stan Javier, Eric Plunk, Bert Bradley, Rickey Henderson and cash. But still pretty astounding.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 303
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (303)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)