Dec 12, 2011, 9:03 PM EDT
Both players were considered candidates to be non-tendered this evening.
McGehee, 29, followed up two surprisingly strong seasons for the Brewers by hitting .223/.280/.346 with 13 homers and 67 RBI in 546 at-bats last year. That caused the Brewers to make third base a priority this winter and that need was addressed by the Aramis Ramirez signing on Monday.
Veras, who served as a setup man in front of Joel Hanrahan in Pittsburgh, will help fill the bullpen holes left by the exits of LaTroy Hawkins and Takashi Saito in Milwaukee. The 31-year-old has always battled control issues, but he’s finished with ERAs of 3.75 and 3.80 the last two years. In his career, he’s struck out 249 and walked 132 over 247 1/3 innings.
McGehee can likely be penciled in as Pittsburgh’s third baseman for now, though the team also has a vacancy at first. If that’s not filled by Derrek Lee or another free agent, then the Pirates could open the season with former first-round pick Pedro Alvarez at third and McGehee at first. However, Alvarez seems in need of some additional minor league time and may end up at first base himself.
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 55
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 56
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 27
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 44
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 71
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (71)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)