Dec 12, 2011, 6:47 PM EDT
Now this is more like what we’re used to seeing from the Marlins: cutting corners by giving away a perfectly useful arbitration-eligible player.
The Rays on Monday picked up right-hander Burke Badenhop from Miami for minor league catcher Jake Jefferies.
It’s a nice get for Tamps Bay. Badenhop’s ERA has climbed slightly, going from 3.75 in 72 innings in 2009 to 3.99 in 67 2/3 innings to 4.10 in 63 2/3 innings last season. However, he finished with the best peripherals of his career in 2011, ending the year with a 51/24 K/BB ratio and just one homer allowed.
Badenhop is a strong groundball pitcher with an 87-91 mph sinker, a quality slider and a below average changeup. It’s not a package that makes him an elite reliever, but as the fourth right-hander in a pen and a guy who can go two innings at a time whenever necessary, he has value. He’s due about $1.4 million in arbitration, and he’ll be eligible for free agency after 2014.
In return for Badenhop, the Marlins receive the 24-year-old Jefferies, a 2008 third-round pick who has failed to develop offensively. He’s come in at .215/.290/275 and .235/.281/.333 in his two years in high-A ball, so he’s a big long shot to ever reach the majors.
Badenhop had been the last Marlin left from the deal that sent Miguel Cabrera and Dontrelle Willis to Detroit in Dec. 2007. The Marlins also acquired Cameron Maybin, Andrew Miller, Dallas Trahern, Eulogio De La Cruz and Mike Rabelo in the trade.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 0
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 16
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 21
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 33
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 54
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)