Dec 12, 2011, 6:47 PM EDT
Now this is more like what we’re used to seeing from the Marlins: cutting corners by giving away a perfectly useful arbitration-eligible player.
The Rays on Monday picked up right-hander Burke Badenhop from Miami for minor league catcher Jake Jefferies.
It’s a nice get for Tamps Bay. Badenhop’s ERA has climbed slightly, going from 3.75 in 72 innings in 2009 to 3.99 in 67 2/3 innings to 4.10 in 63 2/3 innings last season. However, he finished with the best peripherals of his career in 2011, ending the year with a 51/24 K/BB ratio and just one homer allowed.
Badenhop is a strong groundball pitcher with an 87-91 mph sinker, a quality slider and a below average changeup. It’s not a package that makes him an elite reliever, but as the fourth right-hander in a pen and a guy who can go two innings at a time whenever necessary, he has value. He’s due about $1.4 million in arbitration, and he’ll be eligible for free agency after 2014.
In return for Badenhop, the Marlins receive the 24-year-old Jefferies, a 2008 third-round pick who has failed to develop offensively. He’s come in at .215/.290/275 and .235/.281/.333 in his two years in high-A ball, so he’s a big long shot to ever reach the majors.
Badenhop had been the last Marlin left from the deal that sent Miguel Cabrera and Dontrelle Willis to Detroit in Dec. 2007. The Marlins also acquired Cameron Maybin, Andrew Miller, Dallas Trahern, Eulogio De La Cruz and Mike Rabelo in the trade.
- Jonathan Papelbon makes it clear, again: He wants out of Philadelphia 46
- Looking at the All-Star team snubs and surprises 60
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 51
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 49
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 64
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 51
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 106
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (106)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)