Dec 12, 2011, 6:06 PM EDT
The Brewers were hoping to keep Saito as recently as last week, but they likely didn’t have much room left in their budget after Francisco Rodriguez accepted arbitration and they elected to fill out the left side of their infield with free agents Alex Gonzalez and Aramis Ramirez.
Saito, who turns 42 in February, posted a 2.03 ERA and 23/9 K/BB ratio over 26 2/3 innings with Milwaukee this past season. He’ll serve as a set-up man to closer J.J. Putz in 2012.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 8
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 10
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 21
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 61
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 96
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (131)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)