Dec 12, 2011, 9:32 AM EDT
The White Sox and Red Sox met last week to discuss John Danks. Nothing came of it. Jon Heyman reports that the Yankees talked with the White Sox too and, get this, the White Sox demanded for and two of the following three players: Manny Banuelos, Dellin Betances or Jesus Montero.
Not bloody likely. That’s similar to what the A’s were asking for Gio Gonzalez — and which seemed too rich for the Yankees too — and Gonzalez is under team control for a lot longer than Danks is.
Still, can’t fault the Sox for trying to shoot the moon. As the season approaches, teams will get way more nervous about their rotations. While, yes, the White Sox need to come down from such demands for Danks, the buyers may come up themselves.
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 1
- The Lester trade is a win-win 73
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 139
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 90
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (144)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (119)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)