Tim Raines and 49 other dudes with great Hall of Fame cases

Dec 12, 2011, 11:01 AM EST

Tim Raines

Last year Graham Womack of Baseball: Past and Present did a list of the 50 best baseball players not in the Hall of Fame. I remember reading it and linking it but I can’t for the life of me find what I said about it on HBT.

No matter: Graham has a new, bigger and better version of the post. Use it as a nice preview for all of my grumbling outrage in early January when I complain that so-and-so didn’t make it.

Speaking of that: Over at The Hardball Times, Chris Jaffe has a good solid case for Tim Raines: Hall of Famer up.  We’ve seen some of these before, but this is both comprehensive and tends to skew away from really advanced metrics that often angry up the blood of people who aren’t inclined to vote for Raines in the first place.

1. El Bravo - Dec 12, 2011 at 11:10 AM

How awesome are the ‘Spos unis? Super awesome.

2. Chris Fiorentino - Dec 12, 2011 at 11:13 AM

Edgar, Tim, Larkin and Bagwell all deserve to be in the Hall of Fame. It’s frankly a disgrace that they ALL aren’t already in.

• philliesblow - Dec 12, 2011 at 2:16 PM

You should have included another SS in that list:

3. cur68 - Dec 12, 2011 at 11:24 AM

Like MVP voting, HOF election is a popularity contest. If it were fair, then objective measures wouldn’t generate a fried food + blood stream response. And I was born with pre-angered blood, I’ll have you know…can you go wrong with a Sachel Page quote? I don’t think so.

4. Kyle - Dec 12, 2011 at 11:25 AM

Tony Gwynn: .371 career wOBA / 10232 PA’s
    Tim Raines: .374 career wOBA / 10359 PA’s

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Dec 12, 2011 at 12:45 PM

Times on base via walk or hit:

Gwynn – 3141 + 790 = 3931
      Raines – 2605 + 1330 = 3935

5. Francisco (FC) - Dec 12, 2011 at 11:50 AM

But, but, but how many pages does his flyer have?

6. rambodiaz - Dec 12, 2011 at 12:21 PM

It’s fun to look back on Tim Raines’ career numbers. My goodness, reading Jaffe’s article made me realize how good he really was.

I came onto the baseball scene as a fan in 1987, and had no idea who Tim Raines was until 1988. I missed the best part of his career, but man, it’s nice to be able to look back and see just how special of a career he had.

C’mon, Writers. Enshrine a great player, just as he deserves.

7. paulsdamnblog - Dec 12, 2011 at 2:49 PM

He definitely deserves to be in the Hall. The sad thing for Raines is, in his prime he was on teams that could do no better than to finish 2nd or 3rd in their division. Playing in a city that underappreciated baseball didn’t help either. Makes you wonder what would his career would’ve been like if he played for say the Cardinals, Dodgers or the Mets in the 80′s.

8. simon94022 - Dec 12, 2011 at 6:10 PM

Raines probably should be in the Hall. But what makes these debates so tedious is that if the standard used is “Candidate X was better than Existing Hall-of-Famer Y” then there will ALWAYS be plenty of deserving HOFers who haven’t got in yet.

Since there are no real objective standards for Hall admission — and maybe there shouldn’t be — it’s hard to understand why anyone gets worked up about this.

9. raysfan1 - Dec 12, 2011 at 11:22 PM

I’d love the voters for this poll who agreed that Joe Jackson is the best player not in the HoF but still said he doesn’t belong in explain why. It certainly cannot be based on his play. Is it because he took gamblers’ money? Is there solid evidence he threw games? No. Was he grossly underpaid by the team’s owner? Yes. Is the owner, who routinely stiffed his players in the Hall? Yes. As I’ve posted more than once before–who knew that banned for life from baseball meant banned for eternal life from the HoF? Time to forgive “Shoeless” Joe and put him where he belongs–in the Hall.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (5166)