Shocker: John Rocker admits to steroid use

Dec 13, 2011, 8:55 AM EDT

John Rocker

I’m nonplussed. Like I totally lack plus. Plus-free zone here. Not a single plus was given this day.

Via Neyer, comes Mike Silva’s interview with John Rocker from the other night in which the pumped up fireballer with anger issues — shockingly — admitted to using steroids during his career. Here’s Silva:

I was surprised by his admission to taking steroids, so I asked him again if he was taking some sort of PED in 1999. “Yeah, of course I was. I mean who wasn’t? Let’s be honest here, who wasn’t?”

And there was a positive drug test to prove it, Rocker says. The league asked him to take drug tests after the infamous Sports Illustrated article, he did and in his own words he “failed miserably.” Neyer has some very apt words about what that all means. Basically: Selig was willingly blind to PEDs for years beyond the P.R. implications of it all. It’s undeniable and has been for some time.

Look, I’m the first one to criticize anyone who plays the “of course he was on steroids! Just look at him!” card.  But in Rocker’s case? Dudes, really.

1. deathmonkey41 - Dec 13, 2011 at 9:03 AM

But Selig made up for it with having someone associated with the Red Sox run the steroid investigation- it wasn’t his fault that Mitchell was unable to locate one current Red Sox or Brewers star using the juice.

• JBerardi - Dec 13, 2011 at 9:32 AM

Mitchell didn’t locate any stars using the juice, period. So I don’t think the lack of Red Sox and Brewers on the list is particularly notable.

• bozosforall - Dec 13, 2011 at 10:13 AM

Bull crap. Two Red Sox tested positive in 2003, Manny Ramirez and David Ortiz, yet Mitchell conveniently left both off of his list. The Mitchell Report is the biggest joke in the history of baseball. The 86-year title drought by the Red Sox is a close second though.

• JBerardi - Dec 13, 2011 at 10:33 AM

Are you talking about the confidential 2003 survey testing? Damn that George Mitchell, not committing a federal offense by revealing that information.

Again, he didn’t find any big names (I think Clemens was on there which by that point wasn’t news). If you’re going to accuse him of protecting something, he was protecting the entirety of baseball, not two specific teams.

And why would Selig want to defend the Red Sox over the Yankees anyway? What’s in it for him? The Yankees are his single most valuable franchise by a mile… what on earth would be his motivation?

• deathmonkey41 - Dec 13, 2011 at 10:46 AM

• JBerardi - Dec 13, 2011 at 11:24 AM

“The point is that apparently a lot of the Red Sox WERE using steroids and it’s notable that Mitchell wasn’t able to find any of them- maybe he spent too much time smearing the New York clubhouses- who knows?”

I don’t think it has anything to do with a conspiracy to protect the Red Sox or the Brewers; or for that matter the Cubs or Braves or Athletics or the many other clubs not mentioned in the report. It’s just that pretty much everything in the Mitchell report is sourced from either from the BALCO investigation or from Kirk Radomski. Someone was supplying Ortiz and Manny, but it wasn’t any of those people. So how was Mitchell going to obtain this information?

• stlouis1baseball - Dec 13, 2011 at 1:32 PM

Berardi: You typically seem pretty sensible to me (at least in most previous posts). With this in mind…it appears to me anyway that you are actually defending and/or apologizing for Mitchell (and his lack of thorough reporting). No? I mean…there were absolutely dozens of “stars” that turned up in the report. And the lack of repercussions as a result of the “confidential” testing…(hell…the way they were seemingly swept under the rug) rings bogus to me. And it always has. Confidential or not…our all drama-all the time society typically pisses all over something like this. More than anything…as I have posted dozens of times…Selig and MLB looked the other way WHEN IT SERVED THEM. Specifically, just after the strike season and MLB was in dire need of attendance. The Sosa/McGwire Home Run duel comes to mind immediately. Players were as big as a freaking house. Yet…MLB turned their collective heads as it SERVED THEM. The turnstiles were in perpetual motion when dudes were routinely hitting 500′ bombs. Then…it becomes P.C. and Selig has Mitchell “investigate” because by darned…MLB is serious about this. What a joke.

• jwbiii - Dec 13, 2011 at 4:46 PM

“It’s just that pretty much everything in the Mitchell report is sourced from either from the BALCO investigation or from Kirk Radomski.”

Brian McNamee and Signature Pharmacy were the other two major sources for the Mitchell report. In any case, the New York teams are well-represented because two of the four major sources for the report were former employees of those teams.

Here’s a list by team:

The Red Sox list is missing Brendan Donnelly and Scott Schoenweis. My guess is that they were not signed by the Red Sox until after the list was compiled.

The point isn’t that the Twins were necessarily cleaner than the Yankees. It’s that a former member of the Yankees’ staff was under indictment and was willing to trade information for leniency and no former member of the Twins’ staff was in a similar situation.

• skeleteeth - Dec 13, 2011 at 10:12 AM

Oh look…another Yankee victim. Boohoo, Sally.

• bozosforall - Dec 13, 2011 at 10:16 AM

Oh look…another Red Sox fan in denial.

• skeleteeth - Dec 13, 2011 at 10:21 AM

In denial of what? Mitchell not including any Red Sox players in his report? No, that’s quite obvious. People do stupid things all the time, like kissing mirrors, smashing toilets, throwing broken bats mistaken for baseballs @ Mike Piazza, or taking steroids regardless of which team they play for.

• JBerardi - Dec 13, 2011 at 10:44 AM

“Oh look…another Red Sox fan in denial.”

…Said the guy who spends every waking second thing of reasons why the Red Sox didn’t really win two World Series titles in the last decade.

2. cur68 - Dec 13, 2011 at 9:17 AM

So, you could have wrung Rocker like an over used face rag and he’d have oozed soy juice all over the place back then, eh? Well, at least he admitted it. Anyone surprised by this news needs to get out of mom’s basement more.

3. proudlycanadian - Dec 13, 2011 at 9:18 AM

So the reason he was off his Rocker was roid rage!

• Old Gator - Dec 13, 2011 at 9:44 AM

I suspect that he took his injections directly into his vocal chords and under his tongue, hoping to bypass his circulatory system and avoid any enlargement of his brain.

• koufaxmitzvah - Dec 13, 2011 at 11:26 AM

That would imply that Rocker would use really big words as opposed to his repetoire of racial slurs and stereotypes.

4. ricofoy - Dec 13, 2011 at 9:23 AM

Of course Bagwell was on steroids. Look at him then and now.

• paperlions - Dec 13, 2011 at 10:19 AM

Yeah, players never get smaller after they retire and stop spending every available moment working out.

• JBerardi - Dec 13, 2011 at 10:41 AM

He had arthritis in his shoulder that forced him to retire. Don’t think he’s hitting the weight room much these days.

• genericcommenter - Dec 13, 2011 at 11:18 AM

My dad shrunk in his 40s. He never did roids. I’m in my early 30s and I’m a lot less muscular than I was 5-6 years ago. I stopped working out for mass.

5. twitter:Chapman_Jamie - Dec 13, 2011 at 9:29 AM

And I thought Rosenthal was grammatically challenged. What the hell is this?

6. awinsawin - Dec 13, 2011 at 9:31 AM

In other news, Water is Wet.

7. raysfan1 - Dec 13, 2011 at 9:36 AM

Yes, I was shocked at this–not the PED use, but admitting it…until I learned there are book sales involved.

8. tuftsb - Dec 13, 2011 at 9:50 AM

I was asked to send a book proposal to a publishing house about baseball crica 1980. The publishers rejected my proposal by saying that I didn’t admit to a crime, didn’t personally witness a crime, so your book won’t be of interest, citing the Canseco and Rose books as what they wanted to market.

Oh, and I did steroids and cocaine in the 1980’s. And stole signs, dated supermodels and ate chicken and drank beer in the clubhouse. Too late for a do-over?

/sarcasm

• cur68 - Dec 13, 2011 at 9:55 AM

Sooo…crime does pay, eh?

• paperlions - Dec 13, 2011 at 10:38 AM

Sarcasm Bob? I am so disappointed….that was a good story.

• koufaxmitzvah - Dec 13, 2011 at 11:51 AM

You should have been a pitcher in the ’60s and done some real hippy things like adopt a kid from the Vietnam. You could have won a National Book award.

• stlouis1baseball - Dec 13, 2011 at 1:36 PM

Hahaha! Your killing it again today Sandy. LOL! Keep it up Man!

9. aceshigh11 - Dec 13, 2011 at 10:15 AM

What a racist, homophobic bag of shit that guy is.

• drmonkeyarmy - Dec 13, 2011 at 10:16 AM

Truer words have never been spoken.

• deathmonkey41 - Dec 13, 2011 at 10:47 AM

I like turtles.

10. sdpaulson - Dec 13, 2011 at 10:42 AM

Selig is the most inept Commisioner of any sport, ever!

Of course Bud, MLB owners and the rest of management knew what was going on – IT WAS AND STILL IS ALL ABOUT THE MONEY! The only thing that’s changed now is there is public perception of PED’s and that’s tainting the brand image.

I’d at least have some measure of respect for Bud if he would just come out and say “yeah, I/we knew”, But then he’d have to go to Martha’s jail for perjury and bake cookies for awhile….. but he’s still a CLUELESS IDIOT!

• JBerardi - Dec 13, 2011 at 10:59 AM

“Selig is the most inept Commisioner of any sport, ever!”

America, it’s time we talked about your addiction to superlatives…

Not that I’m any fan of Bud, but… Roger Godell is currently running a league that’s more roided up than Baseball could ever dream of being, and that’s is grotesquely destructive to many who play it in general. Do I even need to talk about David Stern? And if you can tell me who the commissioner of the NHL is… then I’ll know who the commissioner of the NHL is.

• deathmonkey41 - Dec 13, 2011 at 11:09 AM

Gary Bettman! He’s definitely the most inept commisioner. And Goodall is nothing more than a puppet for Robert Kraft and the Patriots. I think his biggest job desciption is to make sure the refs protect Tom Brady- even if it means destroying the integrity of the sport.

• stlouis1baseball - Dec 13, 2011 at 1:44 PM

Yeah…and so is most of the major/mid-major/and lower teir College Football programs in the Country. They have been doing it for years. A buddy of mine from High School played football on scholarship at a major Big Ten School. Hint: This was also during the time of a certain All American Lineman who ended up being drafted by the Packers. They used to tell these guys when they were getting tested (the day of the test and the specific time of day the test was being conducted). Dudes used to have their girlfriend, fraternity brother, tutor, etc…piss in hot water bottles for them.
        This is not news.

• paperlions - Dec 13, 2011 at 11:59 AM

Selig isn’t even the worst commissioner in the history of baseball, worse have been inducted into the HOF, much less the worst in sports.

11. ta192 - Dec 13, 2011 at 10:49 AM

Wow, the Ku Klux Kloser, haven’t heard much about him in a while…

12. mondzy805 - Dec 13, 2011 at 12:14 PM

Who wasn’t? True statement.

13. motherscratcher23 - Dec 13, 2011 at 12:27 PM

I can’t believe he admitted it. What, is he crazy?

Now he’ll NEVER get into the Hall Of Fame.

• plmathfoto - Dec 13, 2011 at 2:54 PM

Hey, dude can pay to get in lol.

Remember the “off his Rocker” nickname?

14. johnnyb1976 - Dec 13, 2011 at 4:13 PM

I just fell over in my chair I didn’t see that one coming!!! (rolls eyes)

Pitching vs. history in NL wild card game
  1. D. Jeter (2954)