Dec 13, 2011, 1:48 PM EST
Milwaukee was interested in re-signing Saito, but Francisco Rodriguez accepting arbitration took them out of the running for other free agents and left the right-hander settling for the same salary he earned in 2011.
Saito is 41 years old and missed nearly the entire first half with hamstring and back injuries, but was his usual unhittable self after returning in July with a 1.46 ERA and .186 opponents’ batting average in 25 innings. In six MLB seasons he’s posted ERAs of 2.07, 1.40, 2.49, 2.43, 2.83, and 2.09.
- Report: Two agents rumbled in the parking lot at the Winter Meetings 20
- Mets sign 40-year-old Bartolo Colon for two years, $20 million 38
- MLB rules committee decides to eliminate collisions at home plate 45
- Mariners sign Corey Hart to incentive-laden deal 27
- David Price would not consider an extension with the Mariners if he’s traded there 35
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Managers, GMs to meet today to discuss the abolition of home plate collisions (113)