Dec 13, 2011, 1:48 PM EDT
Milwaukee was interested in re-signing Saito, but Francisco Rodriguez accepting arbitration took them out of the running for other free agents and left the right-hander settling for the same salary he earned in 2011.
Saito is 41 years old and missed nearly the entire first half with hamstring and back injuries, but was his usual unhittable self after returning in July with a 1.46 ERA and .186 opponents’ batting average in 25 innings. In six MLB seasons he’s posted ERAs of 2.07, 1.40, 2.49, 2.43, 2.83, and 2.09.
- Boston Marathon heroes remembered with pregame ceremony at Fenway Park 2
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple 113
- Yankees activate Mark Teixeira from the disabled list 3
- Ivan Nova diagnosed with a partially torn ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow 26
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 35
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (127)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (113)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)