Dec 13, 2011, 9:57 PM EDT
We haven’t heard much about Seattle this offseason and it seems like an odd fit on the surface. While Cuddyer could help at multiple positions, the presence of Ichiro means he’d probably spend a lot of time in left field. He’s only played there nine times in his 11-year major league career. Besides, it’s hard to imagine they’d be willing to meet his asking price, which Heyman suggests is now north of $30 million.
Cuddyer appeared likely to end up with the Rockies after it was reported earlier tonight that Josh Willingham had agreed to a multi-year contract with the Twins, but things have changed in the past few hours. The Willingham deal isn’t done yet and Joe Christensen of the Minneapolis Star-Tribune adds that talks with Cuddyer aren’t dead. The most likely scenario is that they have given him one last chance to accept their proposed three-year, $24 million offer. Colorado reportedly has the biggest known offer on the table.
Cuddyer, who turns 33 in March, batted .284/.346/.459 with 20 home runs, 70 RBI, 11 stolen bases and an .805 OPS over 584 plate appearances this past season.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 0
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 5
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 29
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 236
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 96
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (236)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (86)