Dec 13, 2011, 10:01 AM EDT
UPDATE: The deal is for two year and $8.15 million. Even if he’s not much more than serviceable, that’s a good deal for the O’s.
10:01 AM: Dan Connolly reports that the Orioles are nearing a deal with Tsuyoshi Wada, late of the Softbank Hawks of the NPB. It’s not yet finalized, but it’s a multi-year deal.
Wada, a lefty, seems pretty interesting. He was 16-5 with a 1.51 ERA and a 168/40 K/BB ratio in 184 2/3 innings in 2011. We’ve seen good numbers turn blah for Japanese pitchers once they hit the U.S. so it’s not like that should be considered a strong predictor, but it’s the O’s and they should be taking chances like this.
- Jon Niese bristles at the media reporting Dan Warthen’s racial slur — and I sorta understand why 41
- Jimmy Rollins on Ryne Sandberg: “Everyone is allowed to have their opinion. That doesn’t make it right.” 72
- Smart money on Hanley Ramirez, Jay Bruce in prop bets 24
- 2014 Preview: Kansas City Royals 17
- Kris Medlen expects to have another Tommy John surgery 13
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (102)
- Keith Olbermann REALLY hates that Barry Bonds is coaching the Giants for a week (97)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (90)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (89)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (84)