Dec 13, 2011, 10:01 AM EDT
UPDATE: The deal is for two year and $8.15 million. Even if he’s not much more than serviceable, that’s a good deal for the O’s.
10:01 AM: Dan Connolly reports that the Orioles are nearing a deal with Tsuyoshi Wada, late of the Softbank Hawks of the NPB. It’s not yet finalized, but it’s a multi-year deal.
Wada, a lefty, seems pretty interesting. He was 16-5 with a 1.51 ERA and a 168/40 K/BB ratio in 184 2/3 innings in 2011. We’ve seen good numbers turn blah for Japanese pitchers once they hit the U.S. so it’s not like that should be considered a strong predictor, but it’s the O’s and they should be taking chances like this.
- Joey Votto reaches base six times as Reds rout Phillies 4
- Troy Tulowitzki says he wasn’t accusing Madison Bumgarner of cheating 6
- Quote of the Day: Brian Cashman is keeping Ben Francisco around to “piss everybody off” 27
- Report: Mets considering demoting Ike Davis 4
- The Astros lost in spectacular fashion last night 26
- Oxbow upsets Orb in Preakness
- Live Extra: Watch Game 3 between Sharks, Kings
- PBT Pacers top Knicks, punch ticket to conf. finals
- MST: Carpenter wins pole for 97th Indianapolis 500
- PHT: Red Wings even up series with Blackhawks
- PBT: Pacers may not have Hill for Game 6
- PHT: No surgery needed for Staal after brutal hit