Dec 13, 2011, 10:01 AM EDT
UPDATE: The deal is for two year and $8.15 million. Even if he’s not much more than serviceable, that’s a good deal for the O’s.
10:01 AM: Dan Connolly reports that the Orioles are nearing a deal with Tsuyoshi Wada, late of the Softbank Hawks of the NPB. It’s not yet finalized, but it’s a multi-year deal.
Wada, a lefty, seems pretty interesting. He was 16-5 with a 1.51 ERA and a 168/40 K/BB ratio in 184 2/3 innings in 2011. We’ve seen good numbers turn blah for Japanese pitchers once they hit the U.S. so it’s not like that should be considered a strong predictor, but it’s the O’s and they should be taking chances like this.
- Bryce Harper pulled from Saturday’s game for not hustling 71
- Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches 18
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 17
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 22
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 11
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)