Dec 13, 2011, 10:01 AM EDT
UPDATE: The deal is for two year and $8.15 million. Even if he’s not much more than serviceable, that’s a good deal for the O’s.
10:01 AM: Dan Connolly reports that the Orioles are nearing a deal with Tsuyoshi Wada, late of the Softbank Hawks of the NPB. It’s not yet finalized, but it’s a multi-year deal.
Wada, a lefty, seems pretty interesting. He was 16-5 with a 1.51 ERA and a 168/40 K/BB ratio in 184 2/3 innings in 2011. We’ve seen good numbers turn blah for Japanese pitchers once they hit the U.S. so it’s not like that should be considered a strong predictor, but it’s the O’s and they should be taking chances like this.
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 0
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 8
- Vin Scully says 2016 will be his last season of broadcasting 23
- Edwin Encarnacion slugs three home runs as Blue Jays thrash Tigers 17
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 13
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 23
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 43
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 11
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (264)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)