Dec 13, 2011, 10:01 AM EST
UPDATE: The deal is for two year and $8.15 million. Even if he’s not much more than serviceable, that’s a good deal for the O’s.
10:01 AM: Dan Connolly reports that the Orioles are nearing a deal with Tsuyoshi Wada, late of the Softbank Hawks of the NPB. It’s not yet finalized, but it’s a multi-year deal.
Wada, a lefty, seems pretty interesting. He was 16-5 with a 1.51 ERA and a 168/40 K/BB ratio in 184 2/3 innings in 2011. We’ve seen good numbers turn blah for Japanese pitchers once they hit the U.S. so it’s not like that should be considered a strong predictor, but it’s the O’s and they should be taking chances like this.
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 0
- Report: MLB panel split on Josh Hamilton punishment; one-year suspension is in play 13
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 4
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 1
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 359
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (359)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- John Baker, Jeremy Brown, coal mines and class (80)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (72)