Dec 14, 2011, 11:19 AM EDT
Milwaukee briefly flirted with Jimmy Rollins before settling on Alex Gonzalez as their new shortstop and Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that his one-year deal is worth $4.25 million with a $4 million option for 2013 that vests with 525 plate appearances.
That makes it easy for the Brewers to cut bait on Gonzalez if he continues to decline at age 35, but he’s topped 525 plate appearances in each of the past two seasons and came to the plate 593 times for the Braves in 2011.
Milwaukee is banking on Gonzalez’s defense remaining strong at an age when most shortstops are on fumes, because his offense is very similar to departing shortstop Yuniesky Betancourt. Which is to say awful and consisting of extreme out-making that cancels out some defent power.
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 45
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 123
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 86
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 164
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (202)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (164)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (123)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (123)