Ballplayers will be banned from getting tattoos of corporate logos

Dec 14, 2011, 8:30 AM EST

Rauch displays tattoos on his neck during practice at the team's MLB American League spring training facility in Dunedin

There’s a small, light-on-the-details story in the Associated Press about some of the specific changes in the new collective bargaining agreement. Among some stuff about instant replay, a longer All-Star break and the opportunity for players to get private rooms instead of having a roommate during spring training, comes this little bit:

There’s also a ban on players getting tattoos with corporate logos …

People do that? Oh. Well I guess they do.

Hope it never applies to the media. I’d hate to have to pay to have that giant NBC peacock removed.  It’s in a sensitive area.

1. drmonkeyarmy - Dec 14, 2011 at 8:36 AM

Getting a tattoo of a corporate logo is just plain silly. MLB should allow it just so those players that choose to do such a thing can be subject to ridicule and embarrassment. On a similar note, any word on whether Yadier Molina’s neck tattoos were banned in the CBA? If not, there should have absolutely been a provision in there.

• cardsfanindelaware - Dec 14, 2011 at 8:41 AM

How are the musical chord tattoo on the left side of his neck and the tribal looking tattoo on the right side of his neck offensive and what grounds should they be banned for??

• drmonkeyarmy - Dec 14, 2011 at 8:43 AM

First of all, they look terrible (as most neck tattoos not on Allen Iverson do) and second of all, it was a joke.

• Alex K - Dec 14, 2011 at 9:08 AM

doc- Not most neck tattoos – all neck tattoos look bad. There is not a single neck tattoo that ever looked good.

• stlouis1baseball - Dec 14, 2011 at 9:36 AM

Dr.: I am going to ALSO assume your A.I. comment was a joke. I mean…he has so much crap on his neck you can’t tell what any of it is. It just looks like jumbled ink spots!

• drmonkeyarmy - Dec 14, 2011 at 9:41 AM

No, I think he has the only neck tattoos ever given that look reasonable. I could be biased though.

• aceshigh11 - Dec 14, 2011 at 10:47 AM

Neck tattoos are grotesque and garish.

I have a small shoulder tattoo, but no one can see it unless my shirt is off. That’s the way a tattoo should be.

• cur68 - Dec 14, 2011 at 9:24 AM

Is this your subtle hint that I should abandon my neck-tat idea? I was under the impression it would rake with the ladies and a fella needs all the edge he can get in this competitive world. Seems to work for Yadi at any rate.

• drmonkeyarmy - Dec 14, 2011 at 9:41 AM

Oh no Cur, you should go for it. Remember, the more colorful ink the better.

• cur68 - Dec 14, 2011 at 9:43 AM

It’d have to be Day-Glo ink. Not much else would show up.

• badmamainphilliesjamas - Dec 14, 2011 at 10:02 AM

Advice from the distaff side, Cur . . . don’t listen to the dr.

• stlouis1baseball - Dec 14, 2011 at 10:09 AM

“Distaff side.” Nice. Thanks Mama!

• cur68 - Dec 14, 2011 at 11:58 AM

Thanks for the advice. bmipj, you win. No neck tat for me. Gonna be a full blown face tat! Mike Tyson, you say? Ha! That wimp: his is tiny. Mine will be HUGE. Maybe I should roid it up? Get a bigger head so I can have more tat surface area. So many questions…

• mashoaf - Dec 14, 2011 at 12:30 PM

Cur you should go NBA Chris Andersen on your neck. It will be legendary.

• 24missed - Dec 14, 2011 at 2:38 PM

Neck tattoos are sexy.

2. Jonny 5 - Dec 14, 2011 at 8:43 AM

• stlouis1baseball - Dec 14, 2011 at 10:18 AM

What is that Tat included in the “well I guess they do” link found it Craig’s article?

• Jonny 5 - Dec 14, 2011 at 10:38 AM

Not a clue.

• hossenfefer - Dec 14, 2011 at 11:34 AM

it looks like the In-N-Out Burger logo

• aceshigh11 - Dec 14, 2011 at 10:47 AM

Well, I would let THAT slide for her.

Nice bullseye for finishing.

3. winkeroni - Dec 14, 2011 at 8:44 AM

These guys make a lot more money than a lot of us, Of course their boss should be able to tell them not to get tattoos or what they can’t get a tattoo of. My boss would be furious if I got a face or neck tattoo.

4. paperlions - Dec 14, 2011 at 8:47 AM

The odd thing to me is that use of replay has to be approved by the umpires. Seriously? Do lawmakers have to run changes to laws by cops or lawyers for approval? The job of the umpires is to enforce the rules, not to determine what the rules are.

• bigxrob - Dec 14, 2011 at 8:52 AM

Unions think they should run the world

• paperlions - Dec 14, 2011 at 9:25 AM

No, rich people think they run the world, and they are right.

• stlouis1baseball - Dec 14, 2011 at 9:38 AM

Paper: I hear what you are saying…and point taken. However, if lawmakers had to run changes to the laws by cops those changes would take place far more expeditiously. Not that they would all necessarily be positive changes…but they would get done far more efficiently!

5. phillyphreak - Dec 14, 2011 at 8:50 AM

What if a player wants a tattoo of the MLB logo?

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Dec 14, 2011 at 12:25 PM

Or Bud Selig?

• 24missed - Dec 14, 2011 at 2:33 PM

That’s so funny. I love this comment.

6. winkeroni - Dec 14, 2011 at 9:00 AM

Do people get paid to walk around showing off their corporate logo tattoos?

• Jonny 5 - Dec 14, 2011 at 9:07 AM

Yes, and they aren’t even ball players.

7. umpire6 - Dec 14, 2011 at 9:08 AM

Looks like the WWE champion won’t be pursuing a career in baseball. http://tinyurl.com/6w7dmhf

8. xmatt0926x - Dec 14, 2011 at 9:08 AM

In the end I would wonder about any player who would even get a corporate logo in the first place. How much of a whore can any person be?

• phillyphreak - Dec 14, 2011 at 9:44 AM

I don’t care how many tattoos a person has or of what company they advertise. If they play baseball well, I’m happy with watching that.

9. sdelmonte - Dec 14, 2011 at 9:34 AM

So who pays to remove any tats that already exist, the player or the league?

10. stlouis1baseball - Dec 14, 2011 at 9:41 AM

All I want to know is…how do I remove the tattoo on my member?
    It say’s “Tiny’s Truck Stop, Diner and Trinket Store…Tuscaloosa, Alabama.”

• bravojawja - Dec 14, 2011 at 10:12 AM

Did you get one of those rice writers to do it for you?

• stlouis1baseball - Dec 14, 2011 at 10:17 AM

It matters not Bravo. All that matters is…that is a whole lot of words to fit on one’s member.
        Hahaha!

11. phukyouk - Dec 14, 2011 at 10:28 AM

Craig – in that pic you linked.. is that the Vector Logo from Despicable me?

12. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Dec 14, 2011 at 10:28 AM

While my first impression was that MLB was trying to maintain some sense if integrity by banning corporate logo tattoos, I soon came to realize that Bud is merely protecting his right to sell “exclusive” advertising space. He couldn’t very well sell Ford the license to be the Official US mid sized sedan of the League Division Series, and then have AJ Burnett pitching (heaven forbid) with a Chevy logo across his forehead, what with all of those ultra close-ups Fox likes to do.

Taking it one step further, I wonder if he will start selling space on players skin directly? “Congratulations Jason Varitek, MLB has selected you to receive this ‘Little Blue Pill’ tattoo for all of your attempts to hang in there when you probably should have been gone a long time ago.” (That is not really fair though; everyone know Varitek is not much with the stick these days, but has good receiving skills.)

• stlouis1baseball - Dec 14, 2011 at 10:46 AM

Ohhhh!!!! Burn….burn…burn. In your face!

• cur68 - Dec 14, 2011 at 12:15 PM

Well maybe the blue pills prop up the bat? I understand they are supposed help you get wood on your balls. ‘Tek might actually see a resurgence of his ability to hit that.

• sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Dec 14, 2011 at 1:33 PM

I think he lost any remaining potency while trying to fight ARod with all of his protective gear still strapped on. Now he is condemned to only perform with strap-on gear…

• sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Dec 15, 2011 at 2:50 PM

It would look like this

13. sportsdrenched.com - Dec 14, 2011 at 11:01 AM

I think each proffessional (college) sports team should have a Tattoo Coach similar the nutritionists and S&C Coaches. You know just to make sure the ink getting done is tasteful.

Anyway. To those much is given, much is expected. If you’re going to cash that paycheck. You’ve got abide by the strings attached with that paycheck.

14. nickhoberg - Dec 14, 2011 at 11:34 AM

So if you play for the Yankees, you can’t get the Yankee logo tattooed on your arm? Same with any other team, most of them are “corporate entities”. Dumb thing for baseball to worry about.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (5101)
  2. M. Kemp (3553)
  3. J. Upton (2818)
  4. J. Kang (2807)
  5. W. Middlebrooks (2714)
  1. C. McGehee (2708)