Carlos Zambrano is in the best shape of his life

Dec 14, 2011, 8:00 AM EDT

zambrano getty wid Getty Images

Our friend Nick Collias of MLBTR has been reading the Venezuelan newspapers and he passes along word from Joiner Martinez at Líder en Deportes that Carlos Zambrano is either (a) getting into the best shape of his life; or (b) getting ready to fight Ivan Drago in Moscow on Christmas Day:

“I’m preparing like when I was a rookie, climbing mountains, running on the beach, and exercising hard so that I can arrive at Spring Training in optimal shape. I want to stay in Chicago for the two seasons I still have with the team. I’m not a coward who would take the back door out of the majors.”

Back door out of the clubhouse in the middle of a game in which he pitched poorly, however, is another story.

In other news, apparently Zambrano participated in the Venezuelan home run derby, called the “Festival de Home Run Pepsi.” Which is great. Zambrano hit one homer and didn’t advance.  The winner was Luis Jimenez, a 10-year minor leaguer currently in the Mariners system. He beat out guys like Pablo Sandoval Bobby Abreu, Andruw Jones and Miguel Montero.

I hope Zambrano sticks with the Cubs or latches on someplace. I’m gonna be bored if I can’t write about him next season.

1. Old Gator - Dec 14, 2011 at 8:12 AM

Here’s hoping that, as far as Zambrano is concerned, Macondo remains a barren source of interest for you.

2. Jonny 5 - Dec 14, 2011 at 8:39 AM

I wasn’t aware that cuckoo for cocoa puffs was a shape.

3. Spiro Agnew - Dec 14, 2011 at 8:46 AM

The rocky iv reference made my morning

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Dec 14, 2011 at 12:29 PM

Your username made my morning. I love near-forgotten Presidents and VP’s.

4. Francisco (FC) - Dec 14, 2011 at 8:54 AM

Here I am picturing a video sequence of Zambrano running on the beach to Eye of the Tiger and then climbing up to Mount Bolivar in the (light) snow and shouting: “THEEEOOOOOOO!” with Hearts on Fire in the background…

• Alex K - Dec 14, 2011 at 9:06 AM

Who is he running on the beach with? Is there an awkward hug and splashing around after they finish? If he is running down the beach with someone I hope it’s Michael Barrett former enemy, now friend.

• Old Gator - Dec 14, 2011 at 11:56 AM

More likely sitting at a cafe in El Hatillo stuffing himself with morcilla, sirloin tips and guanabana batidos.

5. PanchoHerreraFanClub - Dec 14, 2011 at 8:58 AM

For Zambrano to be in the BSIL isn’t setting the bar very high.

6. pisano - Dec 14, 2011 at 9:04 AM

Glad to hear he’s in the best shape of his life, now all he heeds to do is get that lobotomy.

7. xmatt0926x - Dec 14, 2011 at 9:13 AM

What’s the point of being in the best physical shape of your life when your mental state is still that of a 3 year old? I also hear Terrel Owens is in the best shape of his life too.

8. cur68 - Dec 14, 2011 at 9:21 AM

Well he gets a nod for trying, at least. Mind you, BSOL for him requires some mental age calisthenics, because it wasn’t his fitness that was being questioned. It was his 5 cent head.

• stlouis1baseball - Dec 14, 2011 at 9:33 AM

Yep…gotta’ get those knuckles ready for the next round with the dugout water cooler.

9. lucasm08 - Dec 14, 2011 at 10:06 AM

I think “best shape of my life” is a phrase created by agents, just like the “hold.” It matters a little bit, but you don’t give a guy 8 figures because his mile time drops half a minute.

10. phukyouk - Dec 14, 2011 at 10:23 AM

“Carlos Zambrano is in the best shape of his life”

HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

11. aceshigh11 - Dec 14, 2011 at 10:44 AM

Zambrano added:

“I cannot be defeated. I beat all man. Soon, I defeat real champion. If he dies, he dies.”

12. mojosmagic - Dec 14, 2011 at 11:08 AM

Why is it when guys who never worked hard decide to do so when it matters the least; at the end of their careers. Unless Zanbano’s included anger management therapy in his off season program forget it.

13. joshftw - Dec 14, 2011 at 12:36 PM

Zambrano just HAS to be around next season! How many players do you have where there’s a built-in reference to The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy in their names?

14. iainnyj - Dec 14, 2011 at 1:12 PM

If the Cubs can change, and Zambrano can change…

• HitsDingers - Dec 14, 2011 at 3:53 PM

+65261

Dragos ht / wt

15. tone360 - Dec 14, 2011 at 3:25 PM

Zambrano will have a good year with the Cubs. I predict no breakdowns.

Can Angels recoup loss of Richards?
  1. R. Castillo (4990)