Dec 14, 2011, 9:41 AM EDT
With the Sox signing Kelly Shoppach and still having Jarrod Saltalamacchia, it strains credulity to think that Jason Varitek can still fit someplace on that team. But Nick Cafardo tweets that, according to a major league source, Varitek “may still be in the picture” for the Red Sox.
I guess they take pictures on old timers day and stuff. Maybe the source means that.
Varitek can’t play anyplace else other than behind the dish. The Sox have an established DH in David Ortiz, so even if Varitek could still hit, there would be no place for him. To me this just sounds like a way for the Sox to cushion the signing of Shoppach and the inevitable end of Varitek’s career in Boston with some vague hope of a continued role in the organization.
Or am I missing something here?
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 32
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 42
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 57
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 23
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 140
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 139
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (140)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (138)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (100)