Dec 14, 2011, 9:41 AM EDT
With the Sox signing Kelly Shoppach and still having Jarrod Saltalamacchia, it strains credulity to think that Jason Varitek can still fit someplace on that team. But Nick Cafardo tweets that, according to a major league source, Varitek “may still be in the picture” for the Red Sox.
I guess they take pictures on old timers day and stuff. Maybe the source means that.
Varitek can’t play anyplace else other than behind the dish. The Sox have an established DH in David Ortiz, so even if Varitek could still hit, there would be no place for him. To me this just sounds like a way for the Sox to cushion the signing of Shoppach and the inevitable end of Varitek’s career in Boston with some vague hope of a continued role in the organization.
Or am I missing something here?
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 13
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 43
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 10
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17