Dec 14, 2011, 9:41 AM EDT
With the Sox signing Kelly Shoppach and still having Jarrod Saltalamacchia, it strains credulity to think that Jason Varitek can still fit someplace on that team. But Nick Cafardo tweets that, according to a major league source, Varitek “may still be in the picture” for the Red Sox.
I guess they take pictures on old timers day and stuff. Maybe the source means that.
Varitek can’t play anyplace else other than behind the dish. The Sox have an established DH in David Ortiz, so even if Varitek could still hit, there would be no place for him. To me this just sounds like a way for the Sox to cushion the signing of Shoppach and the inevitable end of Varitek’s career in Boston with some vague hope of a continued role in the organization.
Or am I missing something here?
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 51
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 16
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- Contact and controversy in the ninth inning of last night’s Dodgers-Giants game 54
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)