Dec 14, 2011, 9:41 AM EDT
With the Sox signing Kelly Shoppach and still having Jarrod Saltalamacchia, it strains credulity to think that Jason Varitek can still fit someplace on that team. But Nick Cafardo tweets that, according to a major league source, Varitek “may still be in the picture” for the Red Sox.
I guess they take pictures on old timers day and stuff. Maybe the source means that.
Varitek can’t play anyplace else other than behind the dish. The Sox have an established DH in David Ortiz, so even if Varitek could still hit, there would be no place for him. To me this just sounds like a way for the Sox to cushion the signing of Shoppach and the inevitable end of Varitek’s career in Boston with some vague hope of a continued role in the organization.
Or am I missing something here?
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 3
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 209
- John Farrell to get fined for being critical of instant replay 47
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 91
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (211)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (121)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)