Dec 14, 2011, 3:27 PM EST
When last we heard about Mike Cameron he was being released by the Marlins after having a verbal confrontation with a flight attendant. Based on that — and based on the fact that he hit .203/.285/.359 last year, I figured we had seen the last of him.
Guess not: the Nationals are looking at him as a bench bat.
Last year’s face plant notwithstanding, you figure Cameron could still work as a bench bat and backup outfielder. He can still play defense. There has to still be a bit of pop in that bat. As long as you’re not paying him real money, why not go for a guy who has always provided those things and … clubhouse presence.
Yes, I hate myself for even thinking that. But that’s what happens on December 14 of a long offseason.
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 47
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 24
- Curt Schilling goes after Obama, says Ronald Reagan would watch “The Interview” (246)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (120)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (96)
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year (86)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)