Dec 14, 2011, 3:27 PM EDT
When last we heard about Mike Cameron he was being released by the Marlins after having a verbal confrontation with a flight attendant. Based on that — and based on the fact that he hit .203/.285/.359 last year, I figured we had seen the last of him.
Guess not: the Nationals are looking at him as a bench bat.
Last year’s face plant notwithstanding, you figure Cameron could still work as a bench bat and backup outfielder. He can still play defense. There has to still be a bit of pop in that bat. As long as you’re not paying him real money, why not go for a guy who has always provided those things and … clubhouse presence.
Yes, I hate myself for even thinking that. But that’s what happens on December 14 of a long offseason.
- Brad Ausmus receives a vote of confidence from new Tigers general manager Al Avila 9
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 27
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 59
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 72
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 34
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 100
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (109)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (88)