Dec 14, 2011, 3:27 PM EDT
When last we heard about Mike Cameron he was being released by the Marlins after having a verbal confrontation with a flight attendant. Based on that — and based on the fact that he hit .203/.285/.359 last year, I figured we had seen the last of him.
Guess not: the Nationals are looking at him as a bench bat.
Last year’s face plant notwithstanding, you figure Cameron could still work as a bench bat and backup outfielder. He can still play defense. There has to still be a bit of pop in that bat. As long as you’re not paying him real money, why not go for a guy who has always provided those things and … clubhouse presence.
Yes, I hate myself for even thinking that. But that’s what happens on December 14 of a long offseason.
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 9
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 28
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 18
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 85
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 54
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (85)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)