Dec 14, 2011, 3:27 PM EDT
When last we heard about Mike Cameron he was being released by the Marlins after having a verbal confrontation with a flight attendant. Based on that — and based on the fact that he hit .203/.285/.359 last year, I figured we had seen the last of him.
Guess not: the Nationals are looking at him as a bench bat.
Last year’s face plant notwithstanding, you figure Cameron could still work as a bench bat and backup outfielder. He can still play defense. There has to still be a bit of pop in that bat. As long as you’re not paying him real money, why not go for a guy who has always provided those things and … clubhouse presence.
Yes, I hate myself for even thinking that. But that’s what happens on December 14 of a long offseason.
- Playoff Reset: Both AL Division Series Get Underway 25
- Madison Bumgarner delivers a shutout as Giants roll past Pirates in NL Wild Card Game 17
- Angels announce ALDS rotation: Jered Weaver in Game 1, Matt Shoemaker for Game 2 2
- The beauty of belief 52
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 44
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 15
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 25
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Ned Yost on the sixth inning and his bullpen usage: “its just one of those things” (82)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)