Dec 14, 2011, 3:27 PM EDT
When last we heard about Mike Cameron he was being released by the Marlins after having a verbal confrontation with a flight attendant. Based on that — and based on the fact that he hit .203/.285/.359 last year, I figured we had seen the last of him.
Guess not: the Nationals are looking at him as a bench bat.
Last year’s face plant notwithstanding, you figure Cameron could still work as a bench bat and backup outfielder. He can still play defense. There has to still be a bit of pop in that bat. As long as you’re not paying him real money, why not go for a guy who has always provided those things and … clubhouse presence.
Yes, I hate myself for even thinking that. But that’s what happens on December 14 of a long offseason.
- Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches 2
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 15
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 20
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 9
- Pirates acquire Ike Davis in a trade with the Mets 46
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (245)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)