Dec 15, 2011, 4:50 PM EDT
Romero’s terrible control and inability to consistently get right-handed batters out make him a poor fit in a setup role, but he remained death on left-handed batters even while struggling overall recently.
Over the past three years Romero held lefties to a .238 batting average and three homers in 147 at-bats, allowing a .658 OPS.
He’d have been a good fit for the matchup-obsessed Tony La Russa, but new manager Mike Matheny should be able to find some good spots for him as well.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (241)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (108)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)