Jake Peavy says relationship with Ozzie Guillen “didn’t end on good terms”

Dec 15, 2011, 12:21 PM EDT

peavy getty wide Getty Images

Jake Peavy talked to Mark Gonzales of the Chicago Tribune about the White Sox parting ways with manager Ozzie Guillen and replacing him with Robin Ventura, saying he thought the move was necessary because “things needed to change with the way we did things.”

Peavy prefaced his comments with “I’m not, in any way, bashing Ozzie” but then went on to say that the manager switch “needed to happen” and described his relationship with Guillen as a poor one: “Ozzie didn’t care for me at the end because I was shut down,. It didn’t end on good terms.”

Peavy also hinted at some past issues with pitching coach Don Cooper, but added: “Look at what Coop has done over the years. It takes time to know someone. I have no problems with [Cooper].”

Which is good, because while Guillen is gone Cooper remains the White Sox’s pitching coach under Ventura.

1. jerrel83 - Dec 15, 2011 at 1:15 PM

of course he didn’t care for you anymore you make 18,000,000 a year in you were useless because you couldn’t picture

• Kyle - Dec 15, 2011 at 1:40 PM

Great story. Compelling, and rich.

2. Gordon - Dec 15, 2011 at 1:23 PM

Further reason why it was time for Ozzie to go.

Of course, we can expect a well-thought-out and mature response to this from Ozzie.

3. phukyouk - Dec 15, 2011 at 1:27 PM

Take the words “Jake Peavy” out of the title and this can probably work for any MLB player

4. mikeh3775 - Dec 15, 2011 at 1:38 PM

He is 100% correct. It was time for a change with the White Sox. Guillen lost the team last year, and he lost them again this year. As a diehard fan, even I said they should have fired him after the late season collapse in 2010. But no, they brought him back and they stunk up the joint. There is no way Guillen is going to find any success in Florida at all, not with that cheap skate owner, who is probably already lining up trades for their off season acquisitions in 2013’s fire sale when they lose money in year two when the new stadium smell wears off.

5. bklynbaseball - Dec 15, 2011 at 1:42 PM

And I suppose all you responding to this have actually met both of these gentlemen? You know them? Curious why you all are so quick to take Mr. Peavy’s word over Mr. Guillen’s. Knowing Ozzie (and yes, I know Ozzie Guillen) I have a pretty good idea why Mr. Peavy didn’t get along with him. Same reason Frank Thomas didn’t get along with Ozzie. Because Ozzie tells it like it is. It’s all about the team. And winning. And if you’re not helping the team win, or if you’re too concerned about your own stats or your own contract at the expense of the good of the team, then no, Ozzie can’t be bothered with you. And if your candy-ass ego can’t take that, then too f*%#kin bad. And that’s probably exactly what Mr. Peavy heard. And no, he didn’t like it. But that’s Ozzie.

• phukyouk - Dec 15, 2011 at 2:02 PM

Hi Ozzie… I see you changed your blog name again… good for you! hows Florida treating you?

• Jonny 5 - Dec 15, 2011 at 2:16 PM

Awww hell no. If you’ve read anything Ozzie typed himself you’d know this. I think Mr. Brooklynbaseball might be right though. Peavy wasn’t worth his contract for the WS, plain and simple. I’m sure Ozzie had some words with him over it too.

• stlouis1baseball - Dec 15, 2011 at 2:37 PM

Brooklyn: Do me a favor and tell “Ozzie” I said he is a raging lunatic and please…please…please…try to talk “Ozzie” into agreeing to a handler so someone is always around to filter his comments. Otherwise, he reflects poorly on the Organization.
      But by all means please tell him I liked him as a Baseball player.
      In fact, I thought he was a very solid ballplayer.
      Strangely enough during this time he was interviewed and/or quoted far less frequently. Coincidence?

• Reflex - Dec 15, 2011 at 5:10 PM

You had me up until you started bashing on Frank. Frank was always a straight talker. And a nice guy. I dont’ know Frank personally but I know people who have met him and there is nothing but positive to say about him as a human being and a man.

If Ozzie can’t get along with Frank Thomas, I have to question whether or not Ozzie is ‘speaking the truth’ or ‘speaking the truth according to Ozzie’. Because there is a difference.

6. El Bravo - Dec 15, 2011 at 5:39 PM

Apparently the little tidbit of news was missed yesterday were players, including Peavy, bashed Cooper for checking out during the time before his contract was extended this past season. To say Peavy has no problem with Coop is simply false. There is also no doubt that Peavy can be a dick. He got into a screaming match with his catcher during a game last season remember? That was not AJ’s fault either, Peavy just lost his pitch control like every other start of 2011 except for that one CG SO. In other words, things needed to change in their organization sure, but moving Ozzie wasn’t going to do anything to solve their problems. Ozzie is the clear winner in this transition and the Marlins haven’t even taken the field yet. Kenny Williams has done more damage to their team than Ozzie ever could, and oh yeah, there was 2005…

• El Bravo - Dec 15, 2011 at 5:40 PM

for sake of being thorough: http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/9425426-452/don-cooper-rubbed-sox-wrong-way-jake-peavy-in-particular.html

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (3233)