Dec 15, 2011, 11:50 AM EST
Josh Willingham and the Twins went oddly silent after news broke earlier this week that he’d agreed to terms on a three-year, $21 million contract, leading to speculation that Michael Cuddyer may have had second thoughts about leaving Minnesota.
I’m still not sure what the lengthy delay and secrecy was about, but the Twins have finally announced the signing officially after Willingham passed a physical exam.
Willingham will get $7 million in each of 2012, 2013, and 2014, but can add another $1 million to his 2014 salary by logging at least 525 plate appearances in 2013.
Now that Willingham to the Twins is official Cuddyer seems likely to sign with the Rockies, although the Mariners and Reds are among several other teams to express interest. He had a three-year, $25 million offer on the table from Minnesota, but went more than a week without giving them an answer to seemingly indicate he wanted to move after spending his entire career with the Twins.
And ultimately the Twins are probably better off with Willingham, a pair of draft picks, and some extra cash.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)