Dec 15, 2011, 9:25 AM EST
The Red Sox traded for Mark Melancon this week, but Buster Olney reports that they’re not done with the pen. In fact, they’re still pursuing other relievers, including Andrew Bailey of the Athletics. No word on Ryan Madson or Darren Oliver, but those are other names that have been discussed.
Makes sense. If last year showed anything, it’s that you can never have enough relief pitching. Bobby Jenks basically punted the whole year and it’s unclear what he’ll be like in 2012. Daniel Bard is being stretched out for the rotation. Assemble a bunch of arms. As long as you can afford it, it’s a nice luxury to have.
- Someone apparently got Jayson Werth’s autograph in jail 18
- Chris Davis opens up about his Adderall suspension: “It was a moment of weakness” 55
- MLB.com names Byron Buxton as baseball’s top prospect for second straight year 42
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 103
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 48
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants (103)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (85)