Dec 15, 2011, 9:25 AM EDT
The Red Sox traded for Mark Melancon this week, but Buster Olney reports that they’re not done with the pen. In fact, they’re still pursuing other relievers, including Andrew Bailey of the Athletics. No word on Ryan Madson or Darren Oliver, but those are other names that have been discussed.
Makes sense. If last year showed anything, it’s that you can never have enough relief pitching. Bobby Jenks basically punted the whole year and it’s unclear what he’ll be like in 2012. Daniel Bard is being stretched out for the rotation. Assemble a bunch of arms. As long as you can afford it, it’s a nice luxury to have.
- Maximum stay on Hall of Fame ballot changed from 15 to 10 years 17
- Jon Lester is willing to return to the Red Sox as a free agent even if they trade him 12
- Jose Abreu is third-fastest in MLB history to reach 30 career home runs 6
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 18
- How’d he do that? Magician Maddux fooled hitters all the way to Hall 23
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 46
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 35
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 15
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (200)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)