Dec 15, 2011, 9:25 AM EDT
The Red Sox traded for Mark Melancon this week, but Buster Olney reports that they’re not done with the pen. In fact, they’re still pursuing other relievers, including Andrew Bailey of the Athletics. No word on Ryan Madson or Darren Oliver, but those are other names that have been discussed.
Makes sense. If last year showed anything, it’s that you can never have enough relief pitching. Bobby Jenks basically punted the whole year and it’s unclear what he’ll be like in 2012. Daniel Bard is being stretched out for the rotation. Assemble a bunch of arms. As long as you can afford it, it’s a nice luxury to have.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (133)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)