Dec 15, 2011, 11:04 AM EDT
One of the things the owners wanted in this latest CBA but didn’t get was an international draft. The logistics of it just seemed really difficult, though, and ultimately they settled for a cap on signing bonuses for international free agents.
The sports business people are reporting this morning, however, that the league and the union have formed a committee that will meet twice a month to discuss international talent acquisition and a possible future international draft. Kevin Goldstein passes along word that the committee will also discuss arrangements with Mexico, Japan, Korea and Taiwan. Hope they don’t get rid of the posting system. I mean, it’s awful, but it gives us a lot to write about, and that’s what’s important.
Anyway, the committee will be staffed by MLB’s Rob Manfred, union head Michael Weiner, union exec and former player Tony Clark, Sandy Alderson, Andrew Friedman, Kim Ng, Rick Shapiro and Stan Javier. Some fairly big hitters there, so you get the sense that everyone is taking it seriously.
As always, however, don’t expect speed from a baseball committee.
- World Series, Game 1: Giants vs. Royals lineups 0
- HBT Daily: In which I waffle on my World Series pick 10
- Must-click link: surviving spring training on $0 a day 70
- Your Official HardballTalk World Series Preview 26
- World Series Reset: Game 1 — finally! — is tonight 30
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 40
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (107)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (106)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Andrew Friedman leaving the Rays to take over as Dodgers President of Baseball Operations (83)