Dec 15, 2011, 11:04 AM EDT
One of the things the owners wanted in this latest CBA but didn’t get was an international draft. The logistics of it just seemed really difficult, though, and ultimately they settled for a cap on signing bonuses for international free agents.
The sports business people are reporting this morning, however, that the league and the union have formed a committee that will meet twice a month to discuss international talent acquisition and a possible future international draft. Kevin Goldstein passes along word that the committee will also discuss arrangements with Mexico, Japan, Korea and Taiwan. Hope they don’t get rid of the posting system. I mean, it’s awful, but it gives us a lot to write about, and that’s what’s important.
Anyway, the committee will be staffed by MLB’s Rob Manfred, union head Michael Weiner, union exec and former player Tony Clark, Sandy Alderson, Andrew Friedman, Kim Ng, Rick Shapiro and Stan Javier. Some fairly big hitters there, so you get the sense that everyone is taking it seriously.
As always, however, don’t expect speed from a baseball committee.
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 16
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 11
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 182
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 21
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 34
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 19
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 87
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (183)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)