MLB, MLBPA form a committee to talk about an international draft

Dec 15, 2011, 11:04 AM EDT

Globe

One of the things the owners wanted in this latest CBA but didn’t get was an international draft.  The logistics of it just seemed really difficult, though, and ultimately they settled for a cap on signing bonuses for international free agents.

The sports business people are reporting this morning, however, that the league and the union have formed a committee that will meet twice a month to discuss international talent acquisition and a possible future international draft.  Kevin Goldstein passes along word that the committee will also discuss arrangements with Mexico, Japan, Korea and Taiwan. Hope they don’t get rid of the posting system. I mean, it’s awful, but it gives us a lot to write about, and that’s what’s important.

Anyway, the committee will be staffed by MLB’s Rob Manfred, union head Michael Weiner, union exec and former player Tony Clark, Sandy Alderson, Andrew Friedman, Kim Ng, Rick Shapiro and Stan Javier.  Some fairly big hitters there, so you get the sense that everyone is taking it seriously.

As always, however, don’t expect speed from a baseball committee.

1. skipperxc - Dec 15, 2011 at 11:13 AM

Committees are awful for getting things done quickly; doubly so in baseball. How long has that Oakland relocation committee been going on now?

2. Old Gator - Dec 15, 2011 at 11:14 AM

Not a good idea. If Bachmann wins, she’ll use it as an excuse to go back into Iraq.

3. jwbiii - Dec 15, 2011 at 11:34 AM

Someday, somewhere, I’m sure that someone will say, “I’m on the MLB International Draft Committee. Same as my father and his father before him.”

4. JBerardi - Dec 15, 2011 at 11:40 AM

Alright, baseball. Good luck with negotiating with the authorities in the Dominican, whoever the hell they are.

• Old Gator - Dec 15, 2011 at 3:35 PM

Or whatever their real names are.

5. paperlions - Dec 15, 2011 at 11:48 AM

So the owners have already colluded to hold down a player’s earning power “amateurs” entering into the major/minor league system….but that isn’t enough, they further want to collude to hold down the earning power of professional players that may want to play ML baseball…I love how the owners of things are all for free markets….unless they are the ones expected to pay market prices….and unless they can some how maintain a monopoly so they are the market.

• Kyle - Dec 15, 2011 at 11:58 AM

This.

• cur68 - Dec 15, 2011 at 12:06 PM

You not so good with hypocrisy, are you ‘lions? Can’t say as I blame you, nor am I much different, but your eloquence in expressing the matter is better than mine. Yeah, like Kyle said: this.

• paperlions - Dec 15, 2011 at 12:15 PM

Where your typos/grammatical errors making fun of mine? or just another way in which we are similar?

…and yeah, I rather abhor hypocrisy in all its forms.

All I want for Christmas is an edit function.

• cur68 - Dec 15, 2011 at 12:32 PM

Nah. My typos were a result of lack of sleep (I’m editing a manuscript for publication. My co-authors are major PIAs: its all arbitrary word changes at this point and I find it irritating: the rage keeps me awake to all hours). Rest assured, if I start poking fun at you I plan to open with “I’m not your friend buddy…”

• paperlions - Dec 15, 2011 at 12:54 PM

I’m not your buddy, pal

• Old Gator - Dec 15, 2011 at 6:29 PM

I am the ghost of your Christmases past.

6. cktai - Dec 15, 2011 at 5:16 PM

Really Craig, you are talking about Japan, Korea and Taiwan and you show a globe centered on the Atlantic ocean? And to make things worse, the Netherlands are only barely visible too! I’m so disappointed :(

• jwbiii - Dec 15, 2011 at 5:25 PM

It does sort of center on Hispaniola.

• Old Gator - Dec 15, 2011 at 6:30 PM

Of course it does. That’s where rhinoceros iguanas are from.

• jwbiii - Dec 15, 2011 at 9:38 PM

Hmm. Is there a link between producing baseball players and rhinoceros iguanas? Does somebody in Donora, PA have a bunch (what is the collective noun for iguanas?) of rhinoceros iguanas? Could Shea Hillenbrand be breeding rhinoceros iguanas on the grounds of his secluded private zoo

in hopes of raising a gaggle of MLB players?

Pitching duel highlights Game 1 of WS