Dec 15, 2011, 7:41 PM EDT
Cafardo is a Boston-based writer and his information goes against what has been reported by CBS Sports’ Jon Heyman, ESPN’s Jerry Crasnick and others, so there’s been some speculation that Cubs president Theo Epstein might have planted the thought in order to shroud his new club’s pursuit. But Cafardo isn’t just some guy. He’s regularly spot-on about trades and free agent signings from around the baseball world, and he has sources that stretch beyond Boston.
Fielder, 27, owns a fantastic .929 career OPS and slugged 38 home runs in 162 games this past year for Milwaukee. He’s also drawing interest from the Mariners, Rangers, Blue Jays, Nationals and Dodgers.
- Video: Watch Kris Bryant get his first major league hit and RBI 4
- Yordano Ventura ejected for hitting Brett Lawrie with a pitch 15
- Pete Rose joins FOX as a baseball analyst 18
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 55
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 28
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 26
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 48
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 49
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)