Dec 15, 2011, 7:41 PM EDT
Cafardo is a Boston-based writer and his information goes against what has been reported by CBS Sports’ Jon Heyman, ESPN’s Jerry Crasnick and others, so there’s been some speculation that Cubs president Theo Epstein might have planted the thought in order to shroud his new club’s pursuit. But Cafardo isn’t just some guy. He’s regularly spot-on about trades and free agent signings from around the baseball world, and he has sources that stretch beyond Boston.
Fielder, 27, owns a fantastic .929 career OPS and slugged 38 home runs in 162 games this past year for Milwaukee. He’s also drawing interest from the Mariners, Rangers, Blue Jays, Nationals and Dodgers.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 3
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 81
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)