Dec 15, 2011, 7:41 PM EDT
Cafardo is a Boston-based writer and his information goes against what has been reported by CBS Sports’ Jon Heyman, ESPN’s Jerry Crasnick and others, so there’s been some speculation that Cubs president Theo Epstein might have planted the thought in order to shroud his new club’s pursuit. But Cafardo isn’t just some guy. He’s regularly spot-on about trades and free agent signings from around the baseball world, and he has sources that stretch beyond Boston.
Fielder, 27, owns a fantastic .929 career OPS and slugged 38 home runs in 162 games this past year for Milwaukee. He’s also drawing interest from the Mariners, Rangers, Blue Jays, Nationals and Dodgers.
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” 15
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 18
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 60
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 12
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59