Dec 15, 2011, 2:43 PM EDT
There seemingly hasn’t been much movement on the Prince Fielder front since Albert Pujols signed with the Angels, but now Jerry Crasnick of ESPN.com reports that the Cubs are “stepping up their pursuit of Fielder.”
What that means exactly is unclear, but with the Marlins saying repeatedly that they aren’t interested in throwing a ton of money at Fielder his opportunities for a huge payday are somewhat limited and the Cubs are among the few obvious fits.
Seattle has also been linked to Fielder recently and there’s speculation that Texas could make a run at him as well. And of course no one should be surprised if a “mystery team” emerges in pursuit of the Scott Boras client.
- Boston Marathon heroes remembered with pregame ceremony at Fenway Park 7
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple 155
- Yankees activate Mark Teixeira from the disabled list 4
- Ivan Nova diagnosed with a partially torn ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow 30
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 35
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (159)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (127)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)