Dec 15, 2011, 2:43 PM EST
There seemingly hasn’t been much movement on the Prince Fielder front since Albert Pujols signed with the Angels, but now Jerry Crasnick of ESPN.com reports that the Cubs are “stepping up their pursuit of Fielder.”
What that means exactly is unclear, but with the Marlins saying repeatedly that they aren’t interested in throwing a ton of money at Fielder his opportunities for a huge payday are somewhat limited and the Cubs are among the few obvious fits.
Seattle has also been linked to Fielder recently and there’s speculation that Texas could make a run at him as well. And of course no one should be surprised if a “mystery team” emerges in pursuit of the Scott Boras client.
- Mariners sign Corey Hart 23
- David Price would not consider an extension with the Mariners if he’s traded there 33
- Media paying for athlete interviews? Not likely. But watch this stuff closely anyway. 20
- Rockies acquire Brett Anderson from A’s 12
- D’backs, Angels, White Sox agree to three-team Mark Trumbo deal 65
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Managers, GMs to meet today to discuss the abolition of home plate collisions (113)