Dec 15, 2011, 2:43 PM EDT
There seemingly hasn’t been much movement on the Prince Fielder front since Albert Pujols signed with the Angels, but now Jerry Crasnick of ESPN.com reports that the Cubs are “stepping up their pursuit of Fielder.”
What that means exactly is unclear, but with the Marlins saying repeatedly that they aren’t interested in throwing a ton of money at Fielder his opportunities for a huge payday are somewhat limited and the Cubs are among the few obvious fits.
Seattle has also been linked to Fielder recently and there’s speculation that Texas could make a run at him as well. And of course no one should be surprised if a “mystery team” emerges in pursuit of the Scott Boras client.
- Doc Gooden calls B.S. on people saying pine tar is just to help pitchers get a grip on the ball 24
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating 109
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 66
- Clayton Kershaw cleared to begin rehab assignment on Friday at High-A Rancho Cucamonga 3
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension 155
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (200)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (169)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (155)
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating (111)