Report: Cubs “stepping up their pursuit of Prince Fielder”

Dec 15, 2011, 2:43 PM EDT

National League first baseman Fielder of the Brewers watches three-run home run in fourth inning during Major League Baseball's All-Star Game in Phoenix Reuters

There seemingly hasn’t been much movement on the Prince Fielder front since Albert Pujols signed with the Angels, but now Jerry Crasnick of ESPN.com reports that the Cubs are “stepping up their pursuit of Fielder.”

What that means exactly is unclear, but with the Marlins saying repeatedly that they aren’t interested in throwing a ton of money at Fielder his opportunities for a huge payday are somewhat limited and the Cubs are among the few obvious fits.

Seattle has also been linked to Fielder recently and there’s speculation that Texas could make a run at him as well. And of course no one should be surprised if a “mystery team” emerges in pursuit of the Scott Boras client.

1. blueintown - Dec 15, 2011 at 2:47 PM

So no one wants to give Prince 10 years..

• hittfamily - Dec 15, 2011 at 2:55 PM

Of course not. He is 27 and is morbidly obese. Not a fat joke-a fact. The fact anyone will pay him 20+mm per year past 30 years old is amazing to me.

• Alex K - Dec 15, 2011 at 3:05 PM

Pujols’ BMI is 28.7 (using his listed height and weight (6’3″, 230)). That puts him in the top end of the overweight category. Maybe we shouldn’t make judgements on people without knowing their body fat percentages.

That doesn’t mean that Fielder has a good body, but we don’t know how much of that is fat and how much is muscle.

• cur68 - Dec 15, 2011 at 3:06 PM

hey hitt’, I’m just wondering: how are you judging Fielder as morbidly obese?

• blueintown - Dec 15, 2011 at 3:10 PM

Tony Gwynn was morbidly obese.

• mox19380 - Dec 15, 2011 at 3:15 PM

while you’re right that he is considered morbidly obese (w/ a BMI of 38, 8 points above the pre-obese-to-obesity mark) I’d think his switch to a vegetarian diet, subsequent weight loss as well as genes should be a sign that he can have a long career … like his father I think he’ll be effective til 34… 7 year deal??

• hittfamily - Dec 15, 2011 at 3:22 PM

Alex. What a foolish comment. BMI works for average people, not 27 year old pro athletes that have a much larger muscle mass percentage than the average person.

I cannot do a skin fold test on the man to determine his percentage of fat, but I do know he is not pregnant. I also know he can’t find a tailor that is capable of altering a pair of elastic baseball pants and a jersey to fit his robust, morbidly obese frame. There is a reason offensive lineman either drop 50 pounds after their career is over, or die before they are 50. Morbid obesity. Prince weighs as much as one of these linemen, but is 7 inches shorter.

• brewcitybummer - Dec 15, 2011 at 3:29 PM

Prince Fielder is not 6’3″. Not even close. He is definitelty not over 6 ft. I’ve stood next to him and everybody knows hes around 5’11”. As for the weight its usually listed around 275.

• paperlions - Dec 15, 2011 at 3:42 PM

Pujols is 6’3″, and the player referred to….no one mentioned Fielders height.

• cur68 - Dec 15, 2011 at 3:45 PM

Ok. There’s a sort of answer to the question.The BMI calculator based on height & weight. So, if we’re using Fielder’s numbers from Baseballref (5’11” & 275) he comes in at ~ 38 BMI (I just looked it up in case you were wondering, hitt’. Used google, too). However, to be accurate WRT “morbid”, you’d need that to say that his BMI is greater than 40. So no, he’s not “Morbidly Obese”. Even this is debatable, too. Morbid implies “decline in health to cause significant shortening of lifespan” or “indicative of disease” ie. proof there is a measurable decline in his health. Since hitt’s not indicating that he’s quoting or he has current LDL/HDL ratios, current skin fold measurements, cardiac stress test results, vital capacity measurements etc then I’m puzzled about this “morbidly obese” bid-ness. Frankly, as an opinion, I’d say the whole “BMI calculator” thing should be thrown out the window for diagnostic purposes. Its, at best, merely a rough guide that you now need to proceed on to more involved testing or that, if you can’t perform that testing, you should at least be cautious about tagging someone “obese” much less “Morbidly Obese”.

• Alex K - Dec 15, 2011 at 4:28 PM

hitt- So BMI doesn’t work for professional athletes, but you used the term morbidly obese which implies you were using BMI? And I made the foolish comment? Got it.

You have no clue what type of health Prince Fielder is in. I also have no clue what type of health he is in. All I said was before we start labeling people we need to know more about them.

You want to say Fielder has a bad looking body type, go ahead. I don’t think anyone would argue with you. I just think you should watch out using terms you don’t seem to understand.

• hittfamily - Dec 15, 2011 at 4:51 PM

The man is 5’11” and weighs 275lbs. By all accounts, add another 15lbs and subtract an inch.

Cur. Are you really arguing that he is not obese? Seriously? Your entire day is spent disproving random comments on baseball blogs. Holy crap man.

Prince Fielder is fat as shit. He isn’t 6′ tall and is pushing 300 lbs. Ask any cardiologist if this person is healthy, and should expect to live beyond the average lifespan. Shit no he won’t.

Morbidly Obese.

• cur68 - Dec 15, 2011 at 5:12 PM

hitt: pretty testy, dude. I was just after if you had any inside knowledge while simultaneously needling you about looking stuff up (since it bothered you so that I do this). You make such bold statements, I was wondering if you actually knew what you were talking about.
        As to asking a cardiologist about Fielder: hell no. I get all the testy answers I can take right here. If I was lucky a heart quack would laugh at the suggestion that you can tell from looking at a pro athlete if he was “morbidly obese”. From experience I would say that most of them get pretty snippy when you try to pass judgement in their area of expertise using a flawed metric. I would say most people are like that.

• bigleagues - Dec 16, 2011 at 9:55 AM

Not to beat a dead horse, but there isn’t a doctor alive that would label Prince Fielder as morbidly obese.

I am willing to accept that hittfamily was speaking in hyperbole, because anything other than would be absurd.

• proudlycanadian - Dec 15, 2011 at 6:33 PM

Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe writes that the Cubs are not very interested in Fielder. Epstein still has sources in Boston, so I suspect that he planted that news. Cafardo also alleges that the Blue Jays are interested in Fielder. Meanwhile a Toronto writer wrote that The Jays are not fans of Boras and his penchant of falsely implying that the Jays are interested in many of his clients. The Jays will never give Fielder a better contract than Bautista and that puts them out of the picture.

2. qcubed3 - Dec 15, 2011 at 3:25 PM

Report: Cubs “stepping up their pursuit of Prince Fielder”

UPDATE: Fielder “stepping up his pursuit of waffles”

• proudlycanadian - Dec 15, 2011 at 3:32 PM

Waffles are veggie food.

• proudlycanadian - Dec 15, 2011 at 3:54 PM

Imagine a diet of waffles covered with canned fruit, a heaping portion of a veggie whipped cream substitute and oodles of delicious maple syrup. Totally vegetarian and just a few calories per bite.

• SOBEIT - Dec 15, 2011 at 4:11 PM

Actually it’s pizza that’s a vegetable. Google it. I think Fielder had too many vegetables.

• thefalcon123 - Dec 15, 2011 at 3:35 PM

Ugg. I’m so sick of the Prince Fielder fat jokes…

…except for this one: the Brewers sausage races would have been more fun if Prince Fielder had chased after them with a knife and fork while wearing a bib.

Okay, seriously, done with Prince Fielder fat jokes.

• Old Gator - Dec 15, 2011 at 3:45 PM

Not me.

One of the great things about pursuing Prince Fielder is that you don’t have to run too hard.

• nightman13 - Dec 15, 2011 at 4:37 PM

He has two career in the park HRs and ask a few catchers that have tried blocking him at the plate if he’s slow.

• Old Gator - Dec 15, 2011 at 6:22 PM

I can’t even imagine how many years that must have taken off his life.

There’s some physics principle whereby you multiply mass times velocity to calculate force of impact. I don’t think of catchers as even armchair mathematicians but I wonder how many of them have pondered how much more slowly Prince has to be running to achieve the same impact force as, say, Scott Cousins running half again (to be generous) as rapidly?

• cur68 - Dec 15, 2011 at 6:50 PM

Yeah, I think based on force = mass X acceleration I’d rather not be trucked by Fielder…unless we count the fact that it’d probably be like getting hit by a stack of pillows…wait, those aren’t pillows!

3. dwrek5 - Dec 15, 2011 at 3:50 PM

So, I guess this means they didnt win the Darvish bid…

4. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Dec 15, 2011 at 4:10 PM

If I was Prince Fielder and I read this comment thread, I’d develop bulemia.

• Old Gator - Dec 15, 2011 at 8:33 PM

He’d need to grow longer middle three fingers on each hand.

5. stew48 - Dec 15, 2011 at 4:21 PM

I attended my first Cub game at Wrigley in summer of 1943. I have also watched Cecil Fielder as a member of the Tigers. He and son are almost identical in physical properties and nothing interferred with Cecil being great. Age mattered not. I hope Prince follows those footsteps as a Cub.

25 years ago, my doctor told me I was obese and to lose weight. I gained some, lost some, gained some and continue in very good health at 81. All those “facts” aren’t necessarily so. Come on Cubbies.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Dec 15, 2011 at 4:49 PM

Reasonable, justifiable words. Thank you, sir.

6. psousa1 - Dec 15, 2011 at 4:21 PM

This is Theo Epstein we are talking about – if Boras says a mystery team offering a 10 year 250 mil contract Epstein will give him a 20 year contract worth 500 million.

Imagine – squandering a half a billion dollars of your employer’s money and leak rumors about the manager and still riding out of town like the white night.

Goodbye Theo – you did great things with the draft but your MLB free agent evals cost them but good. You can’t pay guys by how many times they walk or if the Yankees show interest in them.

7. bowens3181 - Dec 15, 2011 at 4:26 PM

Psousa1, bitter much?

8. cintiphil - Dec 15, 2011 at 5:13 PM

Get serious here. The Cubs will improve themselves if the sign Prince. Given the past contracts they have given away, the Cubs will try to be more responsible here. I think it will be possible to sign him for a little less than 200 Mil if he is offered a 10 year deal.

• riverace19 - Dec 15, 2011 at 6:17 PM

No way Cubs go ten years. All they have to do is look in the dugout or LF and see a glaring example of over-zealous contracts that haunt forever.

9. riverace19 - Dec 15, 2011 at 6:15 PM

I’m not parking on Sheffield Ave. ever if Prince is wearing Cubbie pinstripes.

Why is Wren out and Gonzalez is not?
  1. R. Castillo (2647)