Sounds like the Red Sox would like Jason Varitek to take a job with the team

Dec 15, 2011, 10:30 AM EDT

Jason Varitek Reuters

There was that little report yesterday about how the Red Sox are still thinking of keeping Jason Varitek. Which makes no baseball sense because they already have two catchers who are better than Jason Varitek. Today Ben Cherington went on WEEI and expounded on that a bit, saying that they want to keep Varitek “in some way” and:

“As far as what that means immediately, what we want to do is keep talking to Tek and not discuss that in a public forum, but continue talking to Tek and [Boras] and figure out what’s best for the Red Sox and what’s best for him”

I take that as code for “if you wanna play baseball still you can go someplace and try it, but we’d really love to keep you around in a front office or coaching job or something if, like us, you come to realize that you really don’t have much of a future left as a player.”

But as is always the case, I tend to read too much into things.

1. JBerardi - Dec 15, 2011 at 10:46 AM

I’m going to go out on a limb and say that some Yankee fan is going to use this as an opportunity to point out how “disloyal” the Red Sox are. Just a wild-ass guess.

• phukyouk - Dec 15, 2011 at 10:51 AM

Not this Yanks fan! i think that this is the classiest thing that the Sox could have done for someone who is clearly washed up but belongs with this organization for a long time to come.
      as for a front office job, i would think he would be much better served in some coaching capacity. perhaps as the bullpen catcher or something else?
      (P.S. i gave you thumbs down for you comment)
      (P.P.S. Bozo will be commenting in some form or another, be prepared. )

• bozosforall - Dec 15, 2011 at 11:09 AM

I don’t have to say it…everyone already knows it.

LMAO

• cur68 - Dec 15, 2011 at 10:55 AM

To counter act ‘youk’s down thumb I’ve handed out a rare (from me) + thumb for purposes of morale and just because I haven’t clicked a thumb in about a month. It wasn’t as satisfying as I thought it was gonna be….

• bigharold - Dec 15, 2011 at 12:01 PM

Just the opposite, i think they stayed with him too long, .. significantly past his on field usefulness. They were literally loyal to a fault. He was kept largely for the wrong reasons, his inflated reputation for handing pitching, which clearly was of no benefit during last September’s flame out. And his supposed leadership which also meant little during their month long epic face plant.

Like Wakefield, Veritek was kept by Epstein for sentimental reasons not because of sound baseball judgment. Once Epstein left there was little reason to think that he they weren’t going to be far behind him out the door.

• Ralphie - Dec 15, 2011 at 12:40 PM

” i think they stayed with him too long, .. significantly past his on field usefulness…his inflated reputation for handing pitching”

I agree, what a shame, that’s exactly what happened with Jorge too.

2. pisano - Dec 15, 2011 at 10:49 AM

I’m by no means a Boston fan, but lets face the facts he should have been replaced years ago. Boston carried him as long as they could to appease the fans, but time has come to move on just as Posada has to move on. I don’t think the Boston fans will be all that upset with him leaving, It’s time.

• deathmonkey41 - Dec 15, 2011 at 12:37 PM

Yanks held onto Posada way too long- especially having him butchering the field as the everyday catcher. Same with Varitek. In Varitek’s defense, he wasn’t behind the plate when Vlad stole that base.

• 18thstreet - Dec 15, 2011 at 4:18 PM

I don’t think they kept him just to appease us. That last contract he signed was quite reasonable.

3. Kyle - Dec 15, 2011 at 11:57 AM

I think your code is pretty spot on, Craig.

4. stoutfiles - Dec 15, 2011 at 12:34 PM

Reports are that Varitek is working with a young catcher, Rube Baker, who can’t throw the ball back to the pitcher.

5. stackers1 - Dec 15, 2011 at 12:47 PM

JBerardi – I’m another die hard Yankee fan who thinks the Sox are doing the right thing by J.V. The Yankees are in a similar situation with Posada. Everyone knows that he’s done except him (the player is always the last one to know – for some reason). I don’t want to see Jorge wear another uniform & wish the Yankees would offer him something to keep him with the organization. I think they both would make good managers – some day.

• phukyouk - Dec 15, 2011 at 12:57 PM

not jorge… hes too damn stubborn and emotional…. Tek will make a good manager one day but i think he would be a better mentor

6. wlschneider09 - Dec 15, 2011 at 1:17 PM

Could we come up with some sort of coding system for the titles of posts, such that there are no references to the Sox or the Yanks ever again? Not that I want to hate on those teams or their fans, but perhaps it might mean that Bozos gets bored and wanders away mumbling, and we don’t have to scroll past his useless troll drivel every time there’s a Sox/Yanks thread.

• bozosforall - Dec 15, 2011 at 2:51 PM

Maybe you could go and live at Disney World if you want a perfect world.

7. stackers1 - Dec 15, 2011 at 1:22 PM

You may be right about Jorge, but he’ll never get close to Wally Backman.

• foreverchipper10 - Dec 15, 2011 at 5:16 PM

A NSFW tag would be nice.

• havlicekstoletheball - Dec 16, 2011 at 8:12 AM

Wow. Wally lost his mind.

Somehow I missed that when it happened. Wonder if it was “Family Day” at the minor league ballpark.

“Daddy, what’s a ‘f*ckin’ pipsqueak’?”

8. offseasonblues - Dec 15, 2011 at 6:15 PM

I don’t think there’s any code there. What should they say – hey Jason, you suck at catching. Want a token office job? Instead they’ve expressed their desire to keep him in the fold, but not on the field, as respectfully as possible.

To be sure, there’s a little respect for the fans involved too. Since 2004, Tek has received the loudest cheers of any player coming up to bat for the first time in the game. At least that’s been the case for every game I’ve attended, and yes, a bit louder and longer than for Ortiz.

Pitching vs. history in NL wild card game
  1. D. Jeter (2956)