The Cubs have purchased some land

Dec 15, 2011, 1:34 PM EDT

Wrigley Field

The Cubs have paid $20 million for a one acre parcel of land across from Wrigley Field.  The purpose: to use it, eventually, for “a mixed use entertainment” project.  Which is term you hear a lot on real estate circles, but which I always equate with “arcade/go-karts” because people my age once thought of that as the height of entertainment.

For now, though, the site holds a McDonalds, which will continue to operate.  This has led to a conspiracy theory in some circles.

I’d say that was low-hanging fruit, but I can’t remember the last time I saw fruit anywhere near a McDonalds or near Wrigley Field.

1. CJ - Dec 15, 2011 at 1:38 PM

If they’re going hard after Prince, there’s surely another move to follow. One McDonald’s won’t be sufficient.

Maybe they can put in a KFC and a drive thru liquor store for the bullpen while they’re at it.

2. philliesblow - Dec 15, 2011 at 1:46 PM

Thought I read somewhere that Prince was a vegetarian.

• SmackSaw - Dec 15, 2011 at 1:49 PM

True

• sandpiperair - Dec 15, 2011 at 2:19 PM

Nobody still believes that, do they?

• CJ - Dec 15, 2011 at 2:50 PM

just look at him though, that physique doesn’t come from veggies only. He’s either a closet carnivore or roiding up a la Jeff Bagwell

/sarcasm

• Jonny 5 - Dec 15, 2011 at 2:58 PM

No, he only eats vegetarians. Ya know, Cows, Chickens, Turkeys, etc….

• majmayhem - Dec 15, 2011 at 3:01 PM

Johnny you gotta spend some time on a farm man. Chickens and Turkeys are carnivores (and naturally I might add). Cows are also carnivores, but that I’m afraid is not natural.

• Jonny 5 - Dec 15, 2011 at 3:36 PM

Shhh, don’t tell Prince Fielder that.

• wlschneider09 - Dec 15, 2011 at 10:30 PM

There’s a big difference between carnivores and omnivores (most farm animals).

3. majmayhem - Dec 15, 2011 at 1:53 PM

I read that Wrigley is the worst park in all of baseball (from a player perspective) due to things like inadequate training facilities, etc. If that’s really true, I’d see that land acquisition as a place for a training facility for the team. I know that’s what I would do.

4. jwbiii - Dec 15, 2011 at 1:54 PM

“I can’t remember the last time I saw fruit anywhere near a McDonalds or near Wrigley Field.”

You know that Wrigley Field is on the edge of a neighborhood affectionately known as Boy’s Town, right?

5. 27xwschamps - Dec 15, 2011 at 2:31 PM

Wrigley field is a dump !!! Bulldoze it and put up a new one…

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Dec 15, 2011 at 4:21 PM

YEAH I HATE BASEBALL HISTORY LOLOLOLZZZ

• 18thstreet - Dec 15, 2011 at 5:24 PM

I’ve heard this criticism, and I just went there for the first time this summer. The place is fine, but it needs a new centerfield scoreboard.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Dec 15, 2011 at 5:58 PM

I love that manual scoreboard.

• 18thstreet - Dec 15, 2011 at 6:36 PM

It’s inadequate. They could keep it manual and add a lot more information.

6. rejamaro - Dec 15, 2011 at 3:37 PM

With an acre of land are they going to build a smaller Wrigley to entice Fielder?

7. jwbiii - Dec 15, 2011 at 3:57 PM

More likely Epstein doesn’t want McNuggets so close to the clubhouse.

8. birdsnblues - Dec 15, 2011 at 4:19 PM

There are all kinds of fruits in Wrigley field…. They’re called Cub fans

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Dec 15, 2011 at 4:23 PM

It’s not okay to use homosexuaity as an insult. I consider that hate.

• Alex K - Dec 15, 2011 at 4:32 PM

This

• jwbiii - Dec 15, 2011 at 4:48 PM

Absolutely. To use Craig Calcaterra’s presumably unintended double entendre in a joke is acceptable. To use ‘fruit’ as a synonym for homosexuals is not.

9. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Dec 15, 2011 at 4:26 PM

I’d like to see the neighborhood look a lot like it does in Boston, and if they build something that can generate team payroll and operations revenue, I’m all for it.

Just don’t make it another stupid bar, like Rebel or John Barleycorn. The Wrigleyville crowd could use a little…cultural enhancement.

• jwbiii - Dec 16, 2011 at 3:31 AM

Right. There’s a Pizzeria Uno near Fenway. There are better pizzerias in Chicago, but whatever. A Legal Sea Foods would be a fair cultural exchange, but they would have to serve sandwiches and chowder to go up until game time for night games.

10. foreverchipper10 - Dec 16, 2011 at 11:11 AM

If I could go to an arcade and/or ride go karts right now I would be all for it.

Colby-on-Colby crime in Toronto