Dec 15, 2011, 8:58 PM EDT
The Hokkaido Nippon-Ham Fighters were presented with the winning bid in the Yu Darvish sweepstakes on Wednesday. But it could be another several days before they reveal that information to the world.
According to CBS Sports’ Danny Knobler, the Fighters have until next Tuesday to accept the bid and reveal the winning team, and they’re likely to use that entire period of time. So unless there’s a leak, we’ll continue to play the waiting game.
Indications are that the Yankees, Blue Jays, Rangers and Cubs made bids for the 25-year-old Japanese right-hander and that the Rays, Angels, Twins, Orioles, Red Sox, Reds, Marlins, Mets, Giants and Athletics did not. As for the other 16 major league teams — well, we just don’t know.
Darvish posted a superb 18-7 record, 1.44 ERA and 276/36 K/BB ratio in 232 innings this past year for the Fighters. He had a 1.99 career ERA in seven total Nippon Professional Baseball seasons.
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 96
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 66
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 51
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 104
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 28
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (104)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (97)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (89)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)