Dec 15, 2011, 8:58 PM EDT
The Hokkaido Nippon-Ham Fighters were presented with the winning bid in the Yu Darvish sweepstakes on Wednesday. But it could be another several days before they reveal that information to the world.
According to CBS Sports’ Danny Knobler, the Fighters have until next Tuesday to accept the bid and reveal the winning team, and they’re likely to use that entire period of time. So unless there’s a leak, we’ll continue to play the waiting game.
Indications are that the Yankees, Blue Jays, Rangers and Cubs made bids for the 25-year-old Japanese right-hander and that the Rays, Angels, Twins, Orioles, Red Sox, Reds, Marlins, Mets, Giants and Athletics did not. As for the other 16 major league teams — well, we just don’t know.
Darvish posted a superb 18-7 record, 1.44 ERA and 276/36 K/BB ratio in 232 innings this past year for the Fighters. He had a 1.99 career ERA in seven total Nippon Professional Baseball seasons.
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 0
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 11
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 96
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 55
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 13
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (96)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)