Dale Sveum: The Cubs haven’t talked to Prince Fielder at all

Dec 16, 2011, 12:30 PM EDT

fielder getty Getty Images

We’ve reached the time of the offseason where no one really knows anything, some of the people who claim to are lying and you may as well just hit refresh every 20 minutes for another contradictory report.

Not gonna say I don’t like that a little bit. Not gonna lie to you.

Anyway, Prince Fielder is the dude getting that treatment this year. In the past 24 hours the Cubs’ interest in him has been reported as hot and cold and hot again. Today the Cubs’ press spoke to manager Dale Sveum, however, and — via the Twitter feed of CSNChicago.com’s Patrick Mooney, he said that the team has had no conversations with Fielder. He went on, adding “”At this point, I think it’s a lot of media talking more than us doing anything.”

Well, duh.  It’s December. That’s what we do.

1. skids003 - Dec 16, 2011 at 12:42 PM

Sure is. Talk and talk and say nothing. Typical of the media these days, say whatever you want and claim anonymous sources.

• paperlions - Dec 16, 2011 at 12:55 PM

Dale Sveum is anonymous?

2. Kyle - Dec 16, 2011 at 12:56 PM

I just don’t know what to believe anymore!!!

• purnellmeagrejr - Dec 16, 2011 at 4:13 PM

You can believe me.

3. cur68 - Dec 16, 2011 at 1:01 PM

I have this mental picture of Alex Anthopolous lurking in the weeds, like chubby cat eying a chubby mouse. Only Boras is holding him back. At some point Fielder will see that the best combination of money, team, ballpark, and organization is in Beaver Land. If the Beaver Wrestlers get Darvish…that could tip Fielder right into our laps.

• Panda Claus - Dec 16, 2011 at 2:44 PM

You were headed towards at least a mildly amusing and somewhat believable scenario–until you mentioned ballpark. Skydome is a shopping mall with seats, only slightly more appealing than the big Orange Juicer in Tampa.

• cur68 - Dec 16, 2011 at 3:03 PM

I give you that. Roger’s Center aint pretty. BUT it has reachable seats. One of the reason’s Bautista hits so many homers is because he plays so many games there. Fielder’s agent, Boras, has gone on record that among the important things on Prince’s mind is how many taters he can mash. In RC he can mash a lot.

Contrast this with Kaufman Stadium (KC). An absolute beauty of a stadium but a long way to the seats from home plate. Not a good fit for a home run hitter.

That’s why RC plays in this scario.

PS: I prefer the name “Sky Dome”, too. But I’ll probably get corrected if I go with that.

• Panda Claus - Dec 16, 2011 at 3:17 PM

My misunderstanding cur68. I should’ve realized you were talking about fences and not appeal of the park itself.

The right field porch at Camden Yards would also suit Prince, but the lack of trailing zeroes the O’s would offer him would be quite offensive I’m sure.

Speaking of zeroes, where is all this new found Canadian cash coming from (based on the rumored Darvish posting and potential other activity)?

• cur68 - Dec 16, 2011 at 3:39 PM

Jay’s have a payroll around the $60 mill/annum range. Lower middle of the pack range. They just got Santos for peanuts. They can easy add $25 mil/annum and still not be in the upper half of spending. Fielder for 15 mil/annum and Darvish for 10/annum both for 5 years sounds about right to me (but I’d hope for less). I highly doubt either of those players go for that just based on money alone. I think Darvish will want to go for about 12 to 15 and just adding Boras alone to Fielder sees him at 17 to 20 million. This, though, is all about me dreaming. I dream big, baby.

• purnellmeagrejr - Dec 16, 2011 at 4:16 PM

Guys a Cub – simple reason is Epstein figures he’ll be getting his own Ortiz, Vaughn, George Scott and who the heck else am I forgetting? Embarrassing when you get old enough to remember George Scott and forget stuff fifteen years after.

4. deathmonkey41 - Dec 16, 2011 at 1:09 PM

I still rather see you media types jumping the gun and reporting false information on potential baseball moves than keeping the free world up to date on what Kim Kardashian is doing.

5. benandjerrysberryhorny - Dec 16, 2011 at 1:21 PM

She loves me, She loves me not, She loves me, She loves me not, She loves me, She loves me…..not

6. nightrain42 - Dec 16, 2011 at 1:31 PM

Texas needs to see if prince will sign a 5 year deal for big $$$$ and roll with that.

7. Jeremiah Graves - Dec 16, 2011 at 1:45 PM

How long until Boras uses his Jedi mind trick on the Nats and lands him a $190M/8yr deal?!

8. 5thbase - Dec 16, 2011 at 1:50 PM

I see him staying unsigned until he realizes he’s not going to get the elite money he thinks he’s going to get. (Unless some club stupidly outbids itself.) No way I would sign anyone with his weight issues to a long-term contract unless the extra years are basically free.

9. cintiphil - Dec 16, 2011 at 3:44 PM

Wait now, I hear that Albert is not going to sign for money, but for the Love of the Cardinals. Err, will nevermind.

10. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Dec 16, 2011 at 3:44 PM

It’s situations like these where I love hearing Heyman say “I’ve heard that…” because what I actually hear is “Scott Boras instructed me to say that…”

11. foodstamp69 - Dec 16, 2011 at 10:36 PM

what prince needs to do n just come back to da brewers. right field was designed for him n hed b stupid to sign anywhere else. the problem is hes got that dick head boras for an agent who robs every team his players sign wit

weve already offered him 5 @ 120mil give the guys that took a chance on a 300lb 18 yr old a home town discount.

Can Angels recoup loss of Richards?
  1. R. Castillo (4887)