Dec 16, 2011, 11:17 AM EDT
Dontrelle Willis and the Phillies made their one-year contract official yesterday, and in meeting with the local media Willis indicated that he expects his friend Jimmy Rollins to return to Philadelphia.
“[Rollins] was probably more excited about the deal than I was,” Willis told Matt Gelb of the Philadelphia Inquirer. “It’s pretty surreal to come full circle. I think our families are more excited for this than we are.”
That almost makes it sound like Rollins is all but a done deal to re-sign and Gelb notes that general manager Ruben Amaro Jr. has been in regular contact with the shortstop’s agent since the winter meetings and “indications are that the two sides will eventually reach an accord.”
Willis and Rollins grew up in the same town and attended the same high school in California. They never played together, but it sounds like that’s about to change.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)