Dec 16, 2011, 11:17 AM EST
Dontrelle Willis and the Phillies made their one-year contract official yesterday, and in meeting with the local media Willis indicated that he expects his friend Jimmy Rollins to return to Philadelphia.
“[Rollins] was probably more excited about the deal than I was,” Willis told Matt Gelb of the Philadelphia Inquirer. “It’s pretty surreal to come full circle. I think our families are more excited for this than we are.”
That almost makes it sound like Rollins is all but a done deal to re-sign and Gelb notes that general manager Ruben Amaro Jr. has been in regular contact with the shortstop’s agent since the winter meetings and “indications are that the two sides will eventually reach an accord.”
Willis and Rollins grew up in the same town and attended the same high school in California. They never played together, but it sounds like that’s about to change.
- Rockies acquire Brett Anderson from A’s 11
- D’backs, Angels, White Sox agree to three-team Mark Trumbo deal 62
- Ranking MLB managers by . . . handsomeness 74
- Curtis Granderson: “A lot of people have told me real New Yorkers are Mets fans” 60
- The Phillies have told teams they’d trade Cliff Lee and Cole Hamels 53
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Robinson Cano “didn’t want to play” for Joe Girardi (110)