Dec 16, 2011, 5:24 PM EDT
Heard this: the Washington Nationals signed Jason Michaels to a minor league deal. He hit .199/.256/.295 last year and then had hand surgery. If he makes the Nats he’ll be a reserve outfielder. I wouldn’t hold my breath on him making the Nats.
OK, I’m gonna cop to writing this out of desperation. There has been very little news for the last couple hours and I told Twitter that some actual baseball news had to happen. This Michaels news was the best thing anyone spit out. Well, Dirk Hayhurst tweeted that he was working on a knuckleball, but I’m not sure he wasn’t pullin’ my chain. If not, though, yes, that’s legitimately cool.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 37
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 22
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 40
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 24
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 29
- Giants acquire Jake Peavy from Red Sox 55
- Maximum stay on Hall of Fame ballot changed from 15 to 10 years 66
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (164)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)