Dec 16, 2011, 5:24 PM EDT
Heard this: the Washington Nationals signed Jason Michaels to a minor league deal. He hit .199/.256/.295 last year and then had hand surgery. If he makes the Nats he’ll be a reserve outfielder. I wouldn’t hold my breath on him making the Nats.
OK, I’m gonna cop to writing this out of desperation. There has been very little news for the last couple hours and I told Twitter that some actual baseball news had to happen. This Michaels news was the best thing anyone spit out. Well, Dirk Hayhurst tweeted that he was working on a knuckleball, but I’m not sure he wasn’t pullin’ my chain. If not, though, yes, that’s legitimately cool.
- The Cardinals have moved ahead of the Brewers for first place in the National League Central 13
- No-hitter! Four Phillies pitchers combine to blank the Braves 51
- Bo Porter fired by the Astros 52
- Settling the Score: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 45
- Reds trade setup man Jonathan Broxton to the Brewers 17
- Miguel Cabrera sits Sunday with nagging ankle injury 13
- A’s acquire veteran slugger Adam Dunn from the White Sox 54
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 18
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar (74)