Dec 16, 2011, 10:15 AM EDT
Yesterday there were conflicting reports about the Cubs’ interest in Prince Fielder, with Jerry Crasnick of ESPN.com saying they were “stepping up their pursuit” and Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe saying they’re “not major players” for the free agent first baseman.
Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com chimed in on the situation today, writing that “the Cubs are the front-runners to sign Fielder” while also cautioning that “these negotiations might only be in their early stages.”
According to Rosenthal the Mariners appear to be the Cubs’ primary competition and he reports that neither the Marlins nor the Rangers will make a play for Fielder. Another option is the Orioles, but Rosenthal views that as unlikely unless Fielder’s other suitors dry up.
For now at least Rosenthal views Fielder as “the Cubs’ player to lose.”
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 74
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 82
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 60
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 53
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 20
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11