Dec 16, 2011, 10:15 AM EDT
Yesterday there were conflicting reports about the Cubs’ interest in Prince Fielder, with Jerry Crasnick of ESPN.com saying they were “stepping up their pursuit” and Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe saying they’re “not major players” for the free agent first baseman.
Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com chimed in on the situation today, writing that “the Cubs are the front-runners to sign Fielder” while also cautioning that “these negotiations might only be in their early stages.”
According to Rosenthal the Mariners appear to be the Cubs’ primary competition and he reports that neither the Marlins nor the Rangers will make a play for Fielder. Another option is the Orioles, but Rosenthal views that as unlikely unless Fielder’s other suitors dry up.
For now at least Rosenthal views Fielder as “the Cubs’ player to lose.”
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 14
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 6
- Pirates acquire Ike Davis in a trade with the Mets 39
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 49
- VIDEO: The Yankees turned a triple play against the Rays 24
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)