Report: Prince Fielder is “the Cubs’ player to lose”

Dec 16, 2011, 10:15 AM EDT

Milwaukee Brewers first baseman Prince Fielder walks back to the dugout after grounding out to the St. Louis Cardinals in the 8th inning in Game 6 of the MLB NLCS baseball playoffs in Milwaukee

Yesterday there were conflicting reports about the Cubs’ interest in Prince Fielder, with Jerry Crasnick of ESPN.com saying they were “stepping up their pursuit” and Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe saying they’re “not major players” for the free agent first baseman.

Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com chimed in on the situation today, writing that “the Cubs are the front-runners to sign Fielder” while also cautioning that “these negotiations might only be in their early stages.”

According to Rosenthal the Mariners appear to be the Cubs’ primary competition and he reports that neither the Marlins nor the Rangers will make a play for Fielder. Another option is the Orioles, but Rosenthal views that as unlikely unless Fielder’s other suitors dry up.

For now at least Rosenthal views Fielder as “the Cubs’ player to lose.”

1. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Dec 16, 2011 at 10:24 AM

I wouldn’t mind my Cubs signing him – I’d love to have his kind of stability and production – but I just hope it’s not more than 6 years. I truly don’t think he’s going to be anywhere near productive as he nears his late thirties.

If we don’t, I’d like to see Pena re-signed and attention drawn to the rotation significantly.

• Alex K - Dec 16, 2011 at 11:06 AM

I don’t like the idea of paying a lot of money for any player because of where the Cubs are on the success cycle. Fielder isn’t going to put the Cubs over the top. I don’t think any one player is going to put the Cubs over the top.

I don’t know why the Cubs wouldn’t give LaHair a shot for the minimum.

I trust Hoyer and Theo to make a logic based decision, so if they think it’s realistic to that the Cubs are going to contend in the next 2-3 years then I would love Fielder being a main cog on that team. I just don’t see that happening.

2. cardsfanindelaware - Dec 16, 2011 at 10:36 AM

2 words…

SCOTT BORAS.

Need anyone say anything else?

• nategearhart - Dec 16, 2011 at 10:38 AM

Apparently, because I’m missing your point…

• Alex K - Dec 16, 2011 at 11:08 AM

Two words….

Picture Phone

This game is awesome!

• comeonnowguys - Dec 16, 2011 at 11:23 AM

Elephant Legwarmers.

• cur68 - Dec 16, 2011 at 11:56 AM

Beaver Wrestler

• Alex K - Dec 16, 2011 at 12:11 PM

Highlighter iPod

Best. Game. Ever.

• southpaw2k - Dec 16, 2011 at 2:46 PM

Galaxy Nexus.

3. rooney24 - Dec 16, 2011 at 10:37 AM

If he is having trouble getting either a long offer, or a large yearly salary offer, is there any chance the Brewers sneak back in? I know the considered him gone. But, maybe that was assuming some team would give him 8 years at $20+ million per year. If his market tops out at say 6 years, $18 million per season, would the Brewers renew interest?

• skipperxc - Dec 16, 2011 at 10:57 AM

Not now that they’ve spent almost exactly that money on Aramis Ramirez. Over a shorter time span, but still.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Dec 16, 2011 at 11:58 AM

Aramis has a severely backloaded contract mostly due to the Milwaukee’s limited 2012 budget. Prince is gone.

4. pastortodd78 - Dec 16, 2011 at 11:01 AM

Here is my prediction of how this goes down. Before Monday we will hear that the deal is all but done with the Cubs, then that the Mariners are making a late push, then that there is a mystery team throwing the whole deal into confusion. Then on Monday or Tuesday the Cubs finalize the deal. That is if Theo & Hoyer don’t get tired of Boras’ games and using the media to make them bid against themselves.

• trevorb06 - Dec 16, 2011 at 11:44 AM

That sounds about right. Heyman will report on the mystery team tomorrow I’m sure.

I want to see Boras fail to get his big fish client a massive payday. I can see it happening since the big spenders aren’t buying 1st basemn right now.

• psousa1 - Dec 16, 2011 at 12:16 PM

There are two guys Boras can play like a violin – Epstein and Cashman. He’ll have Theo bidding against himself for the next 10 days. In the end Theo will blame Larry Lucchino anyway if it doesn’t work out (well he’ll get Peter Gammons to do it for him – wait Gammons works for the Red Sox owned TV network now he cannot trash the front office anymore on Theo’s command)

• djpostl - Dec 16, 2011 at 2:57 PM

And when did he play Cashman? With Soriano? Wrong, Cashman was forced to sign him by Hankenstein. With A-Rod’s extension? Wrong, A-Rod negotiated the deal without Boras after that whole fiasco went down.

Try again Skippy.

5. Old Gator - Dec 16, 2011 at 11:42 AM

How can you “lose” Prince Fielder? You’d have to be blind, it would have to be dark on top of that, and you’d have to be feeling your way in the wrong direction.

• cur68 - Dec 16, 2011 at 11:58 AM

Hey, odder things have happened in the dark…

Neal: Del… Why did you kiss my ear?
      Del: Why are you holding my hand?
      Neal: [frowns] Where’s your other hand?
      Del: Between two pillows…
      Neal: Those aren’t pillows!

6. isujames - Dec 16, 2011 at 12:00 PM

Sorry @ss cubs,they could use fielder,some more hitting and a whole lot of pitching.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5116)