Dec 16, 2011, 1:30 PM EDT
I think “realizing traction” is a new hot stove expression, but I kinda like it. Before we had “kicking the tires” and “in discussion,” but then it jumped straight to “nearing a deal” and “are close.” We really had nothing for that middle period when kicked tire-induced discussions were merely making some progress.
Yes, I think a lot about this stuff.
Anyway, according to Joe Strauss of the Post-Dispatch, the Cardinals are realizing said traction in talks with Carlos Beltran. This might be by default, as Beltran’s other reported suitors — the Rockies and the Blue Jays — are likely pulling out of the race, what with the former signing Michael Cuddyer and the latter allegedly winning the Yu Darvish sweepstakes.
Beltran would make sense in St. Louis. Because, as you may have heard, they could use a middle-of-the-order bat.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (241)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (111)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)