Dec 16, 2011, 1:30 PM EDT
I think “realizing traction” is a new hot stove expression, but I kinda like it. Before we had “kicking the tires” and “in discussion,” but then it jumped straight to “nearing a deal” and “are close.” We really had nothing for that middle period when kicked tire-induced discussions were merely making some progress.
Yes, I think a lot about this stuff.
Anyway, according to Joe Strauss of the Post-Dispatch, the Cardinals are realizing said traction in talks with Carlos Beltran. This might be by default, as Beltran’s other reported suitors — the Rockies and the Blue Jays — are likely pulling out of the race, what with the former signing Michael Cuddyer and the latter allegedly winning the Yu Darvish sweepstakes.
Beltran would make sense in St. Louis. Because, as you may have heard, they could use a middle-of-the-order bat.
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 22
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 26
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 43
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 18
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 24
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)
- Ichiro Suzuki passes Babe Ruth on the all-time hits list (76)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (71)
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves (71)