Dec 16, 2011, 1:30 PM EST
I think “realizing traction” is a new hot stove expression, but I kinda like it. Before we had “kicking the tires” and “in discussion,” but then it jumped straight to “nearing a deal” and “are close.” We really had nothing for that middle period when kicked tire-induced discussions were merely making some progress.
Yes, I think a lot about this stuff.
Anyway, according to Joe Strauss of the Post-Dispatch, the Cardinals are realizing said traction in talks with Carlos Beltran. This might be by default, as Beltran’s other reported suitors — the Rockies and the Blue Jays — are likely pulling out of the race, what with the former signing Michael Cuddyer and the latter allegedly winning the Yu Darvish sweepstakes.
Beltran would make sense in St. Louis. Because, as you may have heard, they could use a middle-of-the-order bat.
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 28
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 283
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 49
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (283)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)