Dec 16, 2011, 7:30 PM EDT
Rob Bradford of WEEI.com hears that the Red Sox hope to have Bobby Valentine’s coaching staff in place by Christmas.
As of now, bullpen coach Gary Tuck, third base coach Tim Bogar and hitting coach Dave Magadan are returning, which leaves the Red Sox looking for a new pitching coach, bench coach and first base coach. According to Bradford, Bogar could potentially move to one of the vacant positions. We assume that doesn’t include pitching coach, because that would just be weird.
During an appearance on MLB Network Radio on Sirius XM earlier today, Red Sox general manager Ben Cherington confirmed that Brad Arnsberg and Neil Allen have interviewed for the pitching coach vacancy. Arnsberg has previously served as pitching coach with the Expos, Marlins, Blue Jays and Astros. Allen is currently the pitching coach for the Rays’ Triple-A affiliate, but has never coached in the majors.
Cherington also acknowledged today that he has interviewed candidates beyond those which have been made public, though reports have suggested that former Athletics, Mets and Brewers pitching coach Rick Peterson is not a candidate to join Bobby V’s staff.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 60
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 67
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (76)