Dec 16, 2011, 7:30 PM EDT
Rob Bradford of WEEI.com hears that the Red Sox hope to have Bobby Valentine’s coaching staff in place by Christmas.
As of now, bullpen coach Gary Tuck, third base coach Tim Bogar and hitting coach Dave Magadan are returning, which leaves the Red Sox looking for a new pitching coach, bench coach and first base coach. According to Bradford, Bogar could potentially move to one of the vacant positions. We assume that doesn’t include pitching coach, because that would just be weird.
During an appearance on MLB Network Radio on Sirius XM earlier today, Red Sox general manager Ben Cherington confirmed that Brad Arnsberg and Neil Allen have interviewed for the pitching coach vacancy. Arnsberg has previously served as pitching coach with the Expos, Marlins, Blue Jays and Astros. Allen is currently the pitching coach for the Rays’ Triple-A affiliate, but has never coached in the majors.
Cherington also acknowledged today that he has interviewed candidates beyond those which have been made public, though reports have suggested that former Athletics, Mets and Brewers pitching coach Rick Peterson is not a candidate to join Bobby V’s staff.
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 11
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 42
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 22
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 50
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 15
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (76)