Dec 16, 2011, 7:30 PM EDT
Rob Bradford of WEEI.com hears that the Red Sox hope to have Bobby Valentine’s coaching staff in place by Christmas.
As of now, bullpen coach Gary Tuck, third base coach Tim Bogar and hitting coach Dave Magadan are returning, which leaves the Red Sox looking for a new pitching coach, bench coach and first base coach. According to Bradford, Bogar could potentially move to one of the vacant positions. We assume that doesn’t include pitching coach, because that would just be weird.
During an appearance on MLB Network Radio on Sirius XM earlier today, Red Sox general manager Ben Cherington confirmed that Brad Arnsberg and Neil Allen have interviewed for the pitching coach vacancy. Arnsberg has previously served as pitching coach with the Expos, Marlins, Blue Jays and Astros. Allen is currently the pitching coach for the Rays’ Triple-A affiliate, but has never coached in the majors.
Cherington also acknowledged today that he has interviewed candidates beyond those which have been made public, though reports have suggested that former Athletics, Mets and Brewers pitching coach Rick Peterson is not a candidate to join Bobby V’s staff.
- Reds hope to get Joey Votto back for the “stretch run” 4
- Jean Segura leaves Brewers following the death of his nine-month-old son 45
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 29
- Rangers catcher Geovany Soto arrested for marijuana possession 62
- Babe Ruth made his major league debut 100 years ago today 50
- Rockies owner: “maybe Denver doesn’t deserve a franchise . . . maybe time for it to find a new home” 80
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 33
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow 114
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (191)
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow (114)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (102)